Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 116738 times)

Tex

Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »
Aw crap - just take my roaster, Susan. Someone already deemed it "butt ugly" a page or two back!   :BangHead:

Sorry about that comment David, but you know the ol' saw, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."? There's been an addendum, "...But ugly is obvious to everyone."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:33:05 PM by Tex »

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:32 AM »
Aw crap - just take my roaster, Susan. Someone already deemed it "butt ugly" a page or two back!   :BangHead:

Sorry about that comment David, but you know the ol' saw, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."? There's been an addendum, "...But ugly is obvious to everyone."
When coffee roasting becomes a spectator sport, I'll purdy it up!  :icon_salut:

Tex

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »
When coffee roasting becomes a spectator sport, I'll purdy it up!

I don't know about that David?

I had my wife, daughter & son-in-law there, plus three neighbors and their dogs  who dropped by, while I roasted some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Koke farms in the Sonofresco yesterday. From the looks on their faces I'd say if you're not roasting on the front porch then you ought to try it.  :)

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2009, 07:51:29 AM »
When coffee roasting becomes a spectator sport, I'll purdy it up!

I don't know about that David?

I had my wife, daughter & son-in-law there, plus three neighbors and their dogs  who dropped by, while I roasted some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Koke farms in the Sonofresco yesterday. From the looks on their faces I'd say if you're not roasting on the front porch then you ought to try it.  :)

Tex

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2009, 08:40:45 AM »
Soccer? You dare to post pics of Reliant Stadium - home of the Houston Texans - set up for soccer? That'd be like Lincoln Center set up for a rap concert (another of my favorite oxy-morons)!

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »
Soccer? You dare to post pics of Reliant Stadium - home of the Houston Texans - set up for soccer? That'd be like Lincoln Center set up for a rap concert (another of my favorite oxy-morons)!

Hey - I didn't put up the goals & paint the lines.. that was done by TEXANS.

RAP CONCERT at Lincoln Center?  Go for it.  Maybe the venue could use a little bling.   

JR_Germantown

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2009, 11:47:49 AM »
In case anyone wants to get this thread back on the subject, here's my UFO/GG rig:

http://www.rogers6.com/gallery/v/family/coffeestuff/roasting/ufo/

Jack

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »
Looks great, Jack!

I'm curious on your roast times.  When i had a spacer that wasn't quite as tall as yours, the roasts went too long for my tastes.  Of course it all depends on the BTU's put out by your oven.  Mine wasn't strong enough, apparently.

David

Tex

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2009, 12:07:30 PM »
Is that thing safe for food products Jack?  ;D

What's the wattage on your CO top that it can sit that high above the beans? I found that the difference between a 1.5" & 2" riser meant I'd have a bit of reserve power if I needed it; so are you running yours wide open all the time?

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »
Galvanized spacer = Bad

Tex

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2009, 01:15:10 PM »
Galvanized spacer = Bad

If it's a springform cake pan it's probably aluminum or at least tinned. I can't recall ever seeing galvanized cookware. But if it's not galvanized the color could still do you in.  ;)

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Tex - I think he mentioned that it's aluminum duct working!  Probably galvanized, unfortunately.

Tex

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »
Tex - I think he mentioned that it's aluminum duct working!  Probably galvanized, unfortunately.

If it's aluminum it wouldn't be galvanized, it's a rust-proofing for steel. Aluminum would be natural, painted/coated, or anodized. It looks to be ~4" tall, so Jack must have the King Kong convection oven. My oven is maxed out with a 2" spacer!

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
My bad, Tex.  He never mentioned aluminum.  Here's the description of his roaster from his photo site:

* Salton UFO popcorn popper (now discontinued, but still available)
* Galloping Gourmet Digital Convection Oven (top only)
* HVAC duct - 12" x 10" transition (cut down)
* High-temp RTV silicone sealant
* High-temp silicone tubing

I am curious of the wattage of his oven. My TO is 20 years old - and would not be able to roast effectively from that height.

David

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2009, 01:36:26 PM »
Galvanized spacer = Bad

maybe...

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod01/01600817.html
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000082.htm

The issue is the zinc (and other heavy metals) getting released into the food buy acids in the food or heat...  it may be argued that in this instance the risk is low but is the argument worth your life or quality of life down the road...