Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 116746 times)

Tex

Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »
...  it may be argued that in this instance the risk is low but is the argument worth your life or quality of life down the road...

If you'll try it & tell us if you experience problems I'd appreciate it. ;)

Tex

« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »
If you'll try it & tell us if you experience problems I'd appreciate it. ;)

But, getting back to Susan's UFO/CO - how's it going? By now I expect you're already into your second or third batch and are getting the hang of it, right? Let us Know if we can help!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:32:08 AM by Tex »

SusanJoM

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2009, 12:45:45 PM »
Okay, making progress.
Got my beautiful riser.
It is now nicely foil taped to the UFO.

Only one more question:  how high or low should I drill a hole for the TC?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:52:43 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
What do you guys use to clean the dark brown gunk that builds up on the glass of the TO? I've tried all my household cleaners and they don't really do much. When the roaster is hot the cleaners do better but I have yet to find anything to completely (and easily) remove the gunk.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »
Susan, is your probe one of those long pointy metal ones?  If so, I'd go as low as you can so the angle of the probe is as shallow as possible.  That way  you'll have more of the tip buried in beans.

HC4U, my glass never gets cleaned.  I gave up on it, as you can do it every ten roasts, and with an accurate temp probe you don't really have to see the beans.  The crud doesn't build up all that thick, and eventually it'll start to flake off, at which time it can be scraped off easily.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SusanJoM

« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2009, 01:16:38 PM »
Susan, is your probe one of those long pointy metal ones?  If so, I'd go as low as you can so the angle of the probe is as shallow as possible.  That way  you'll have more of the tip buried in beans.

I have two thermometers.  The one on the left only has a wire that I have semi-permanently installed in the IR2.  The one on the right has the right kind of probe, but I think the temp will only read up to about 350.  What I think I am looking for is a probe like the one on the left with a plug that will fit into the gizmo on the left.....Right?

My current one will probably at least let me know when I get the pre-warming  up high enough to dump the beans in.

Susan

milowebailey

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
Susan

Look on Ebay... you need a K type thermocouple for the meter on the left... I'm not sure what connector is used, but I suspect on similar to this thermocouple

SusanJoM

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
Oh good.
Does "K-type" refer to the wire itself or to the kind of probe or to the way it connects to the reader?

Susan

Tex

SusanJoM

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »
A quick introduction to thermocouples.

Okie doke read all the parts I could until my eyes crossed.

Susan

Look on Ebay... you need a K type thermocouple for the meter on the left... I'm not sure what connector is used, but I suspect on similar to this thermocouple

Thanks Milo....Almost the same, but I need a plug with flat rather than round prongs.

I'm a lookin'.

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »
What do you guys use to clean the dark brown gunk that builds up on the glass of the TO? I've tried all my household cleaners and they don't really do much. When the roaster is hot the cleaners do better but I have yet to find anything to completely (and easily) remove the gunk.
I've tried everything under the sun.  The ONLY thing that seems to work is to take a razor blade & use it as a scraper.  It actually does a great job.  I do it about once a month.

David

Tex

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »
I've tried everything under the sun.  The ONLY thing that seems to work is to take a razor blade & use it as a scraper.  It actually does a great job.  I do it about once a month.

David

Try washing the beans before you roast them. Cleanliness is next to goodliness!

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »
...Only one more question:  how high or low should I drill a hole for the TC?

Susan - this looks great! If your TC is the rigid type, its gotta be low enough to be at/in the bean mass, BUT can't be so low that the stir arms clip it.

David

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »
Try washing the beans before you roast them. Cleanliness is next to goodliness!

:violent1:

Tex

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2009, 07:25:50 PM »
:violent1:

There it is folks - the military abusing the working class! You're all witlesses to the abuse!