Author Topic: Custom Drip Station  (Read 3420 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
Custom Drip Station
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »
My friend that carried the roaster into the shop (the one I called Brutus), is employed by the government and does a lot of CAD design. He told me that he works with a lot of contractors and one of them lets him use their metal fabrication shop. He said he could recreate just about any of the parts on my roaster if I ever need them, including custom chrome side panels with my company logo if I wanted. He wanted to build something for me so I suggested he work on making a "drip station." I would like to have one but cannot imagine paying the $500-600 they want for one. He went to work right away and already has a mock-up drawing for me. He is going to start building it next week. I thought you might like to take a look. It will have a pull out tray in back to aid in clean-up.

Shep
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:39:45 PM by shep »
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Custom Drip Station
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »
I am curious to know if the prices on those pour over stations are fair or marked way up... I know stainless is high priced and the labor that goes into that is high but???  it would be interested to know what Brutus has to say about the markup    :-\

I'm looking to make those for my pottery pour overs with bent wire, and for a coffee shop and gift baskets we are trying for a wooden fruit crate look..

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:04:17 AM »
I think the markup is extreme. Brutus is making mine out of stainless, and guesses you could retail one for $250 or so and still make a nice profit. His will not have a drain tube like the other one does, but it will have a pull out tray that can be dumped. I'll be able to answer that question better once he is done with it. Still, $500 bucks to hold a few $2 plastic drip cones seems absolutely crazy to me. Originally I was going to have another friend who runs a granite counter top shop make me one, but Brutus offered to do it for free. Who am I to argue?

Shep

crholliday

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:39:21 AM »
Is this a committment thread?  ;D

I would like 2 please!

C.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:16:28 AM »
Is this a committment thread?  ;D

I would like 2 please!

C.

If it turns out as nice as the mock-up looks and the price is realistic, I'll let you know!

Shep

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:16:15 AM »
The laser/water cutting for the branding alone will be well over $100 of that cost. I'll wager most of the contoured cuts (holes & cup holder areas) are cut this way too. Geez, I'd guess that could amount to half of the cost if they outsource that. If they do it themselves (plasma?) it'd not be as bad, but still.

The design has a potential problem. Specifically, it seems to me that spillage/drippage could run along the underside of the perforated stock to the edge, and wick down between the pullout tray and the side of the base. You don't want to have to run a rag all over the inside of the base every time you withdraw the pullout tray, nor do you want to have to wipe down the entire pullout tray's exterior every time, nor have leakage from such wickage come out the end of the unit between cleanings. Even if you didn't have serious wickage to the border, you'd have to run a rag on the underside of the perf, reaching into the thing to do so.

It's a good looking design, though.

If there's anything you can do to reduce the number of operations required to fab the thing, that'll absolutely cut down on cost. The high price is also almost certainly connected to low quantities. If you ordered 50, the price would drop dramatically.

One cost-cutting suggestion that also eliminates the wicking hazard and makes cleaning the underside of the perf easy: drop the pullout tray. Section the unit so that the perforation merely rests on the tray. Lift the upper section (perf upwards) off, and dump the tray into the sink. However, a method to secure the perf to the base (tray) might be important if the base is too narrow to ensure stability via gravity alone.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:23:11 AM by rasqual »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
What are you using for plastic cones? The Melitta cones?

Something like that would be nice for home use, with spots for 2 cups. One for me and one for the wife.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »
Point well taken. Since it is a freebie to me I will take it as it comes. After I use it a couple times I will be able to see what could be done to improve and simplify it. He is also making me a 2 cup station. Why? He just wants to!

Shep

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:03:01 AM »
Very cool!  I really like your idea about using granite, though.  If I ever get caught up, I might have to move that one forward...  Having some extra stability would be a bonus, and some of those offcuts can be had for reasonable prices locally.  I have some perforated stainless scraps that could make a nice lift out, as well. 

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »
Very cool!  I really like your idea about using granite, though.  If I ever get caught up, I might have to move that one forward...  Having some extra stability would be a bonus, and some of those offcuts can be had for reasonable prices locally.  I have some perforated stainless scraps that could make a nice lift out, as well. 

The guy I know with the granite counter top shop is a good friend. In fact, I have all my greens delivered there and he buys my coffee and gives it away as gifts to his customers. He also does metalwork. I am thinking of having him look at making me one too...because I'm greedy I guess! He has been very generous with me and even offered me part of his shop if I ever need to expand the business. He is always trying to partner with me. I have resisted that. He doesn't need me in any way; he is very successful. He just likes to help.

Shep

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:54:15 AM »
Does it have to be SS?

I wonder if some other food safe material could be used....does it even have to be food safe if nothing touches it?

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:38:07 AM »
Does it have to be SS?

I wonder if some other food safe material could be used....does it even have to be food safe if nothing touches it?

No, I don't think it has to be food safe.

Shep

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »
That very much depend on the locale as well as the whim of inspectors. There's good reason to err on the side of caution.

But the cost can be reduced dramatically while retaining SS.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 07:17:35 PM »
That very much depend on the locale as well as the whim of inspectors. There's good reason to err on the side of caution.

But the cost can be reduced dramatically while retaining SS.

the cold industrial look of the SS is what I don't like... so if it is made of wood and sealed with a varnish.. I hope it is acceptable..

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 05:33:21 AM »
He did offer to paint it.

Shep