Author Topic: Trouble with Gene Cafe Reaching Roast Temp  (Read 1241 times)

Offline fred8631

• Standard User
Trouble with Gene Cafe Reaching Roast Temp
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »
Folks:  Serious question, serious trouble with my Gene Cafe roaster -- roasting today and just into first when the exit temp dropped toward ambient.  It appears the heating element or the controller has failed.  If so, this would make the second such failure in about 15 months of roasting.  The first failure was just shy of roasting for a year -- when the Gene could not be coaxed to reach roasting temp.  Contacted the folks at FreshRoast and they hustled a replacement heater, thermostat, and controller to me.  After swapping the parts, we were back to excellent roasting.  That was about three months ago.  This failure presents differently but has the same result.  Is anyone else experiencing these types of troubles?  Fred

Pyment

Re: Trouble with Gene Cafe Reaching Roast Temp
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
Sorry it took so long to answer. I had a heating element failure. Since mine came from the 1st US shipment, that's not too bad. Even though it was out of warranty, service was great.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:36:42 PM »
Same problem here, twice. The original heater failed just before the warranty expired, and Tim S. at FreshBeans was on the ball with a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement failed very soon after I put it in. (failure means temps failed to rise beyond about 444, and would then plummet).

Cutting to the chase, we wound up replacing everything (boards, etc) except the fan and the temp/timer assembly, all to no avail. Finally, long after the warranty had gone by the boards, a new Gene arrived on my doorstep in November. I can't say enuf good stuff about FreshBeans - Tim has been more than willing to stand behind the product, and I do appreciate that!

This one has some design changes from the original, although I really don't know what all the specifics are. Heater-wise, in low ambient temps in my garage (40-50F) it pumps along OK, though it does like a warmer operating environment. My original was worthless below about 60 and had to be moved inside.

The drum and rotating wheels look much the same as the original, although the way the drum mounts and the geometry of the whole assembly has been modified - I know this because while my old drum will lock in, it projects a quarter inch or so above the "wheels." So much for having a back-up.

All in all, I'm still happy with my Gene, and particularly with how Tim has handled the problem.

Raven

Offline fred8631

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 07:25:23 AM »
Thanks.  Sounds similar.  Just replaced heater asmbly and fan.  Ready to roast again.  Think I will check the heater and thermocouple to see if either of those cmpnts failed.  Fred