Author Topic: What are the odds?!?  (Read 994 times)

ButtWhiskers

What are the odds?!?
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »
90% of my roasting is done on a pair of TurboCrazies.  Both of these have been heavily used for over 18 months with only minor tweaks.  Last night during a marathon session, both of the StirCrazies died!!  Within 20 minutes of each other!  Fortunately I had backup, but one batch was at about 360?F when it went out, which is about the worst place for a roast to die (during caramelization, .  One was a complete motor failure (on the newest model, but the one that I had used the most/longest).  The other was only a drive shaft failure (on the older model) which was due to the half-assed way that I had attached the stir bar with a washer and self-tapping screw (in order to keep most of the shaft plastic, which transfers less heat to the motor itself, and should prevent the failure I saw in the other one).

I had forgotten about just how much I take these things for granted, and how much I have come to expect out of them...  Hundreds (thousands?) of consecutive, trouble-free batches had made me complacent...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: What are the odds?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:21 AM »
I can relate BW.  It's easy to take them for granted, as they just keep chugging along, ton after ton.  The only malfunction I've had on the SC's is through my own malfunction.

If only everything in life was this reliable.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you