Author Topic: Chemex and Gold Filters  (Read 3315 times)

Marlyece

Chemex and Gold Filters
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:37:37 AM »
Insert from Bold Java:  This thread grew out of a question posed on the group buy for the Yama vacpots.  It began:

Marlyece

"I was contemplating Getting a chemex initially but now I'm captivated by this. Any thoughts or suggestions?"

BoldJava

"Chemex.  I don't care for the taste of paper (I believe some palates are more sensitive to this than others).
I use a Bodum gold filter with my Chemex and it works beautifully, with a nice lip on the filter.
Easy to handle when hot.  Simple dump into our mulch bin, quick rinse under the hot water and
you are done:
http://xrl.us/BodumGoldFilter (Link to www.bodumusa.com).  Never have to buy another filter.

Chemex cup:  Very clean cup though with just a hint of fine silt, depending upon your grinder (I grind fine
with a MACAP for the Chemex and Bodum gold).  Simple to prepare with a boil, wait 30 seconds, saturate grinds,
wait, then pour remainder.  Done.  Gold filter permits oils through and you will get a cup that is just a
little bit lighter than a press pot without quite the heaviness and degree of silt to the cup that a press
 pot presents.   This is a great way to enjoy a coffee with little fuss.  I use it weekly.  $55-$60, with filter.

Yama (or Bodum/Cona).  Vacpots have become my favorite preparation.  For me, no other prep
showcases the individual strengths and characteristics (or weaknesses) the way a vacpot does.  Some
coffees (PNGs, Vienna roast levels) don't do so well in it for my palate.  With PNGs, it showcases too much of the characteristics, just as roast profiling characteristics become too pronounced at the Vienna and darker roast levels for my tastes in a vacpot.

Very high putz factor.  Very tactile, hands-on, slow approach to coffee preparation.  Takes me 15
minutes start to finish though some speed it up with preboiled water and or higher stove temps.
I don't get that -- what is the rush?  Where is the fire?  Slow down and enjoy it.

Clean up is messy. Cloth filter works very well but needs a good rinsing with an old tooth brush or group head brush.  Need to assure you have a uniform grind if you use a Cory filter (highly recommended from eBay for $9-$12 shipped).  Somewhat difficult to clean but pot brushes with bottom bristles hasten the cleanup ($11 at our local kitchen supply place):

http://www.instawares.com/glass-washer-coffee-pot-bar-brs935.bar-brs935.0.7.htm

$50 with Cory Rod so price is about a wash. 

For me, it is about the cup, and it is a Yama, hands down.  You will, however, get an excellent cup with the Chemex and Bodum gold if you don't like to putz with the vacpot.  Personally, I am looking for ways to slow down rather than speed up my life.  The Yama fills the bill. ...

B|Java"
-----
Marlyece:

"Wow thanks for all the valuable tips! Maybe I'll have to satisfy my curiosity and get both."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:52:44 PM by BoldJava »

Marlyece

Chemex and Gold Filters
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »
So many useful tips here.  I think I might try the Chemex with the rec'd gold filter.  It will be nice to not have to deal with paper or purchasing new filters all the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I love this forum.

Marlyece

Chemex and Gold Filters
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:46 PM »
Last question. If I buy a 3 cup chemex will any gold filters fit? Swissgold or bodum ? Thanks!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Chemex and Gold Filters
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 03:19:40 AM »
Last question. If I buy a 3 cup chemex will any gold filters fit? Swissgold or bodum ? Thanks!
l would love to find a gold filter for the small chemex... if you find one let me know and I will do the same (I hold little hope of success)

SusanJoM

Chemex and Gold Filters
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
If you decide to order great.  If you decide to go Chemex, great.  Just get that gold filter.

B|Java

Well, I've ordered my Yama, but thanks to this post I've also just ordered a gold filter for my Chemex.  
I'm guessing that filter will only fit my 4-6 cupper and not my 1-3 cupper?????
Still, I'm looking forward to checking it out against the papers I've been using for years.

Susan

Marlyece

Chemex and Gold Filters
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
I'm not sure if it will fit with the 3 cupper, but keep us posted since I'd like to find one that fits.  Did you go with a Bodum or a SwissGold?  Or another brand entirely?

SusanJoM

Re: Chemex and Gold Filters
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
Hi Marlyece.
I went with the Bodum.
This was the second recommendation I had gotten for that one in the past two days, so....
I just did it.

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »

Well, I've ordered my Yama, but thanks to this post I've also just ordered a gold filter for my Chemex.  
I'm guessing that filter will only fit my 4-6 cupper and not my 1-3 cupper?????
Still, I'm looking forward to checking it out against the papers I've been using for years.

Susan

I just measured the Bodum and venture a guess that it will work in the smaller Chemex.  It is cone shaped, and measures 1.75" in length at the base of the cone.  I think you have more than sufficient glass above the indentation area in the Chemex to more than support the filter.

Trust that helps.  B|Java

SusanJoM

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
thanks Bold...
Now I have another question.
It seems to me that I remember that the most important part of the Chemex was always/originally touted as being the invention of the particular filter paper, not the carafe itself.
Now the recommendations seem to be for a filter which basically negates all of that.
I find that a bit confusing.

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
thanks Bold...
Now I have another question.
It seems to me that I remember that the most important part of the Chemex was always/originally touted as being the invention of the particular filter paper, not the carafe itself.
Now the recommendations seem to be for a filter which basically negates all of that.

Susan

The recommendations are just mine, not the entire coffee community.  My voice is a small sampling.

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse; the question before the cup. Just wait to until the filter comes in.  Cup them side by side and decide if the invention of their paper product is all it is touted to be:

"...Applying the techniques used to insure laboratory purity, he set out to brew what may have been the first cup of truly, clear, full-bodied coffee - free of undesirable fats, oils, sediment and most of all...bitterness."  http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

I prefer the oils and a touch of silt.  I don't care for the paper taste.  To me, it is discernible but others may not find that true.  We await your vote.

B|Java

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:34:08 PM by BoldJava »

SusanJoM

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »
Ah....but of course....
thank you for reminding me that it is MY taste that matters....

I'll let you know when I've had a chance to check them out as you suggest:  side by side.

Susan

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »
I'm with BJava here. Once you "wean' yourself of the paper method and then come back to it, you can literally taste the paper. I have 3 Bodum pour-overs and two small Chemex carafes (one of each in the shop, one of each at home and one Bodum at my in-law's condo in Naples...see, perfectly justified!). I have not tried a gold filter in the small one, but you all have my curiosity peaked now!

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 11:01:54 AM »
I believe all the hoopla surrounding the Chemex filter papers was in comparing them to other paper filters.

The aspect of the pour that paper wins at IMHO is in the pour rate.  Until you perfect the pouring technique with a gold basket, they're too quick.  Paper is more of a no-brainer in that regard.

As an aside, one thing to remember with the gold filter baskets is that you don't actually need a funnel, just something to hold the filter.  Since 99% of my brewing in one cup, this was my solution; glue a little block of wood inside a drawer front, bend some metal rod to hold the basket, and voila!

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 08:51:02 PM »

I think you are on the right track...as far as making a "chemex" cup goes.

"Chemex brewed coffee" the way I see it is the filter aside from whatever slight temp differences the glass offers. A swiss gold filter (as Peter proves with his *PABWBS) isn't Chemex.

I follow on with the idea of resting a swiss gold inside a glass carafe' will not be Chemex either...so for continuity resting a Melita filter in a glass carafe won't brew Chemex either.

If you can/can not taste paper is important to your taste but not to determine if it's "Chemex" or not.

So I think you are correct the most important part of brewing Chemex is the filter.

If you prefer swiss gold over Chemex is a totally different story.

*Peter's Advanced Bent Wire Brewing System
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:13:05 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

As an aside, one thing to remember with the gold filter baskets is that you don't actually need a funnel, just something to hold the filter. 

Don't sell paper short....it doesn't need a funnel either just something that will hold it open. ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison