Author Topic: Chemex and Gold Filters  (Read 3316 times)

garybt3

Re: Chemex and Gold Filters
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 06:13:46 AM »
As a regular Chemex user, I'd like to add my 2 cents in about the Chemex paper filters.

To my tastes, the brown 'unbleached' paper filter tastes much like a brown paper shopping bag.
A work around that I have tried is to pre-wet and rinse off the filter under running water. Problem is that I don't want to mess around @ 5am with a wet paper coffee filter.

However, I don't perceive that same taste with the Chemex white 'oxygenated" circular filters, so that's what I have been using every morning for the last 3 years. The Chemex method is simply the paper Chemex filter and a glass container. The filers cost me $9. + tax at a local supplier, and I tend to buy 3 boxes at a time. For me, the cost is worth it. I only make a full pot of coffee when I use mine.

If you buy a Chemex glass pot, you might as well use the filter that was intended for it. Otherwise, look for a much cheaper 10 cup Melitta pour-over pot, and filter basket and use the readily available #4 paper filters or use a re-usable filter with it.

All methods of brewing coffee taste differently, my advice is to try them all out... ;) and see which one works better for your needs  :D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 06:37:03 AM »
All methods of brewing coffee taste differently, my advice is to try them all out...

Your advice should be made into a law.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SusanJoM

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 01:03:45 PM »

Well, I've ordered my Yama, but thanks to this post I've also just ordered a gold filter for my Chemex.  
I'm guessing that filter will only fit my 4-6 cupper and not my 1-3 cupper?????
Still, I'm looking forward to checking it out against the papers I've been using for years.

Susan

I just measured the Bodum and venture a guess that it will work in the smaller Chemex.  It is cone shaped, and measures 1.75" in length at the base of the cone.  I think you have more than sufficient glass above the indentation area in the Chemex to more than support the filter.

Trust that helps.  B|Java

Absolutely right that it should....bit it doesn't.   The cone shape on the 1-3 cup Chemex is much steeper than the cone shape of the Bodum gold filter, so the filter dangles unattractively above the glass and would be usable only if no other options were available.....possibly after having used up all of the paper filters, all of the dishtowels, all of the washcloths.....you get the picture.

In fact, it only fits the 4-6 cupper a bit better.  Really, it's a travesty.....from a design or aesthetic perspective.  Mr. Chemex would roll over in his grave.

Oh well....I'm sure it will find a niche somewhere, but I sort of doubt it will be with my Chemexes....

Susan
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:45:58 AM by SusanJoM »

SusanJoM

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »
Okay, okay, so it was a wonderful pot.

16 oz water.  24 gm Brazil Morenhahahaha.  Gold Bodum filter in my 3-4 cup (16-32 oz) Chemex.

I really do mind the way that contraption looks, but, hey....it makes a wonderful cup. 

And ....
And?????
And nuthin....

I'm going back for the rest that's waiting for me in the Zojirushi

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »
Nice that you got a wonderful cup!  Your coffee/water ratio is about the same as mine.  You might consider some sort of funnel/filter-holder that will let you brew right into your thermos.

Now that you know you can get a wonderful cup out of this rig, you can play around with the pour technique.  The pour is the critical part of the pour-over.  John posted a very interesting video a long time ago, but I can't find it.

This guy has an idea I haven't tried yet.  Notice he preheats his carafe.  He pre-infuses and waits for the bloom, and then adds water in small amounts.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyUaaU-5n24&feature=related[/youtube]

This guy's pour isn't bad, but he neglects to pour a little and let it bloom before continuing.  Pour starts ~2:50.  No doubt you recognize that Bodum filter.   ;)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-pNLnvOTg[/youtube]

This guy has a great pour, but think he used too much water for the pre-infusion, otherwise good.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIuSiZGOvY&feature=related[/youtube]

AIIKWITA; my own acronym... As If I Know What I'm Talking About   ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:20:32 AM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SusanJoM

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
Thanks for those vids.
Yesterday when I was reading what I could find about Chemex brewing, there were two salient points that I picked up.  In the past I had always poured (after the bloom period) around the outside of the cone.....Apparently -- and as I see in all those videos, that isn't a good idea.  My logic had been that it kept the edges from getting missed in the infusion.  Guess I had it wrong.  The other point  -- particularly relevant to the second video was that the temperature of the brew stays very stable if you do not stir.  Apparently the "crust" keeps the heat from escaping.  I've never stirred and won't start.

I think (but I'll go back and check) that that information came from the same guy who  made this video

One question that came up for me is whether the same brew (let's say 16 oz) in the smallest pot (1-3 c) would be as good as in the next size up (3-4 c).  Unfortunately without a gold filter to put in my smaller one, I can't compare that way.  And, in fact, I have white filters for the smaller one and unbleached brown ones for the larger, so I can't do that comparison either.  BUT, my thinking is that the steepness of the upper part of the small carafe may simply be too steep and that the same brew made in the larger pot may be better....  ?????

So many theories....so little time....

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »
John posted a very interesting video a long time ago, but I can't find it.

Why didn't you just ask brother?  ;D

This is a very good vid and the sections of 2:30-2:40 and 5:06-5:54 set me on 6 months worth of experimentation. It's like a kung fu zen thing I guess because it isn't much to look at "pouring water" until you really start to look at it...then things get real interesting.  :angel:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzNd3xFlqWY&feature=related[/youtube]
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SusanJoM

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »
Wow, that is one fine filter holder!!!!

Now I want one of those, too.......

;D    ;D    ;D   

Susan