Author Topic: Tatung Hot Water Dispenser  (Read 3001 times)

Stubbie

Re: Tatung Hot Water Dispenser
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 05:21:32 AM »

It looks like the temp is not adjustable - I wonder what it's set for? It's cheap, but is it going to be useful for anything but general hot water use? I use mine to make coffee in the Aeropress, shooting for 198?F.

Tex,

Maybe you've already tried this, but have you always used 198 for your Aeropress?  There has been quite a bit of debate on the subject, but the inventor insists that it performs better at a lower temp.  Anywhere from 160-180 if I'm remembering correctly.  I've tried the lower temps and the results have been excellent for the most part.

Just more tinkerin'

-Stubbie

Tex

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »

It looks like the temp is not adjustable - I wonder what it's set for? It's cheap, but is it going to be useful for anything but general hot water use? I use mine to make coffee in the Aeropress, shooting for 198?F.

Tex,

Maybe you've already tried this, but have you always used 198 for your Aeropress?  There has been quite a bit of debate on the subject, but the inventor insists that it performs better at a lower temp.  Anywhere from 160-180 if I'm remembering correctly.  I've tried the lower temps and the results have been excellent for the most part.

Just more tinkerin'

-Stubbie

I've tried various temps for my Aeropress, then settled in at ~200?F. At the temps the maker suggests I wasn't getting the deeper flavors I was expecting from my expensive beans.

SCAA only certifies coffee makers that operate at higher temps. My vac pots and Melitta pour over all work best at the higher temps too. I'm stumped as to why the Aeropress maker suggests such a low temp. Maybe he's/she's just a gear-head with a flash of inspiration, not really a coffee lover.

:bs:

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
My Zojirushi (which I love) keeps 95c, and I always decant into my plunger, then into the aeropress just to lower the temps.  That is partially out of convenience, though, because I can't fit the loaded aeropress and the cup under the spout.  Tatung is the biggest brand in Taiwan, which explains the price difference between that and the Japanese brands.  Their rice cookers are built like tanks, so I would trust this water pot, too.  Go for it!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:47:12 AM by Joe »
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac