Author Topic: Breville Cafe Roma / Baratza Virtuosa  (Read 3094 times)

Tex

Re: Breville Cafe Roma / Baratza Virtuosa
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
Just to clarify, I am defining 'the crema fraction' as the emulsion remaining after 90 seconds, after the CO2 'fizzies' have bubbled away.  I can have 100% foamie/fizzie stuff at the cessation of the shot, but the galactomannin-stabilized emulsion of oils that stays put is what I call crema.

Is this what you'd consider to be proper "crema fraction?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6-QmaeGG8[/youtube]
>:D

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:11 PM »
Kinda hard to be sure, Tex, as the clip dies out fairly fast after the pour and the head hasn't really stabilized.  Looks like it'll do, though.   :D    Heck, most of us wouldn't be waiting to find out.   ;D

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:58 PM »
Just to clarify, I am defining 'the crema fraction' as the emulsion remaining after 90 seconds, after the CO2 'fizzies' have bubbled away.  I can have 100% foamie/fizzie stuff at the cessation of the shot, but the galactomannin-stabilized emulsion of oils that stays put is what I call crema.

If it took me 7-8 seconds from the time the pump started until the pour started, I would run the pump for 7 seconds, stop it for 5 seconds to allow expansion, then pull for 25 seconds.  That infusion/expansion step reduces channeling and improves extraction in these lower end vibe pump machines.

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »
So possibly I may get a few good shots out of this experience and definitely get the basic espresso and milk steaming/foaming experience that will improve my chances of good results in front of a real machine??

I am not a nut for espresso but then again I don't think I have had too properly prepared espresso based drinks so I am glad it is a loaner machine...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 06:02:04 AM »
So possibly I may get a few good shots out of this experience and definitely get the basic espresso and milk steaming/foaming experience that will improve my chances of good results in front of a real machine??

I am not a nut for espresso but then again I don't think I have had too properly prepared espresso based drinks so I am glad it is a loaner machine...

Hey JJ ... if you get the milk frothing working right and use some raw organic wild flower honey for a nice cappuccino ... I guarantee you will not only like it but will be hooked.  Come up with a nice blend for an espresso (you might start off with Brazil French roast 50% and Yirgacheffe 50% at FC) and you will certainly start to appreciate the excellent intense flavor of an espresso.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 07:32:51 AM »

Hey JJ ... if you get the milk frothing working right and use some raw organic wild flower honey for a nice cappuccino ... I guarantee you will not only like it but will be hooked.  Come up with a nice blend for an espresso (you might start off with Brazil French roast 50% and Yirgacheffe 50% at FC) and you will certainly start to appreciate the excellent intense flavor of an espresso.

;)

A 10 - 20% mix of a good Indian Robusta (seeming oxymoron acknowledged) works for milk based drinks.
--
I wouldn't drink it straight though unless you've got a taste for industrial sludge.
:icon_puke_r:

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 07:59:14 AM »
A 10 - 20% mix of a good Indian Robusta (seeming oxymoron acknowledged) works for milk based drinks.
--
I wouldn't drink it straight though unless you've got a taste for industrial sludge.
:icon_puke_r:

Yeah ... I'm kind of neutral about Robusta ... it adds more caffeine ... yes ... it creates more crema but that type disappears rather quickly ... and to my palate I cannot discern any drastic taste difference as if done without it.  I have not isolated to only adding Robusta to milk based drinks however ... that might be the missing link.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski