Author Topic: 1st batch roasted with Sonofresco  (Read 2372 times)

Tex

1st batch roasted with Sonofresco
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
Sorta of dark (~Vienna), roasted with profile #7. The next batch was done at #5 and it looked a lot better. Both batches had 624 grams of green beans.

bad link - new one to follow
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:14:17 PM by Tex »

milowebailey

Re: 1st batch roasted with Sonofresco
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
Sorta of dark (~Vienna), roasted with profile #7. The next batch was done at #5 and it looked a lot better. Both batches had 624 grams of green beans.

bad link - new one to follow

Tex

Should you desire to have a little more control, you can get a digital thermometer (similar to this) and measure bean temperature.   While doing that you can stop the roast at a specific temperature by turning the burner switch off.   I use the preset times as a safety if I'm multitasking.

I've had pretty good and consistent results this way.

Tex

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
video link

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
I roast generally using preset 2 which gives me a City+ to Full City, depending on the bean. Of course my ambient temp here in the Philippines is around 80 deg F. I find that beans with a higher moisture content tend to roast darker quicker than drier beans.
For now, I await with anticipation Larry's widgit. I would love to be able to use the SF like I do my Hottop.
Cheers!
No coffee, No workee!

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:03:31 PM »
I roast generally using preset 2 which gives me a City+ to Full City, depending on the bean. Of course my ambient temp here in the Philippines is around 80 deg F. I find that beans with a higher moisture content tend to roast darker quicker than drier beans.
For now, I await with anticipation Larry's widgit. I would love to be able to use the SF like I do my Hottop.
Cheers!

Interesting, because if I set mine on #2 I'd barely get past 1st crack... 3 takes me to about city, 4 city +, just past 2nd crack, 6 viena to french,  8 3rd crack... that's why I want to redesign the controller... it works as well as it can with the presets, but I want more control.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »
Interesting, because if I set mine on #2 I'd barely get past 1st crack... 3 takes me to about city, 4 city +, just past 2nd crack, 6 viena to french,  8 3rd crack... that's why I want to redesign the controller... it works as well as it can with the presets, but I want more control.

Yeah, but your machine is sucking in 35?F air instead of 80?. It was a balmy 71? @ 8:30 AM when I did this. Profile #5 gave me a FC+, which is what I usually prefer for espresso.
:icon_sunny:
The roast was of my Mongrel Blend (everything I have that's less than a full batch gets dumped into a 5-gallon pail & thoroughly mixed. This blend gave me enough for three 620 gram batches. It had C. American, SE Asian, India, & African, Arabica, plus a *bit* of good Indian Robusta for the tang.

Surprisingly, more folks like my Mongrel Blends than like the SO's.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:21:40 PM by Tex »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »
nice video... green grass, leaves on trees.... 71 degrees...  can I come play at your house?!?!?!

Tex

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
nice video... green grass, leaves on trees.... 71 degrees...  can I come play at your house?!?!?!

Winthrop Harbor, IL, to Pearland, TX? That would be too much culture shock, not to mention what the sudden warmth could do to your body! Stay home & toss another log on the fire.

Check out
this video at ~8:30 in
, it shows the roast I did Dec. 20th. It was done on the other side of the house because the wind was from the opposite direction than today's wind.

It's almost worth the occasional hurricane to live in such nice weather. I can roast outdoors pretty much anytime I get the urge.

8)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »
The roast was of my Mongrel Blend (everything I have that's less than a full batch gets dumped into a 5-gallon pail & thoroughly mixed. This blend gave me enough for three 620 gram batches. It had C. American, SE Asian, India, & African, Arabica, plus a *bit* of good Indian Robusta for the tang.

Surprisingly, more folks like my Mongrel Blends than like the SO's.

That reveals something about the drinkers, the Blends, or the SO's.   ;D

It's like the old tale about the Texan rancher visiting the farmer in PA.  They touring the PA farmer's spread, and Tex says, "Why, my ranch is so big, it takes me a day and half to drive my truck around it."  PA says, "Yeah, I used to have a truck like that."   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:56:41 AM »
Now using the second batch, having tossed the first batch as undrinkable. This one is a Full City, and is very drinkable. The photo makes the FC roast look darker than it really is.

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »
Now using the second batch, having tossed the first batch as undrinkable. This one is a Full City, and is very drinkable. The photo makes the FC roast look darker than it really is.

Tex

Once you get the hang of it I think you'll fine the sono very repeatable... with that said it may take a roast or two to become one with your new roaster.   Enjoy the trip.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 09:00:27 AM »
Tex

Once you get the hang of it I think you'll fine the sono very repeatable... with that said it may take a roast or two to become one with your new roaster.   Enjoy the trip.
Right milo,

And I'm sure that once I put a temp probe in the bean mass I'll get more repeatable results. It was the same with the UFO/CO - color & sound are good indicators, but for absolute control, temp is the only way to judge roast.