Author Topic: Travel setup for French Press  (Read 2952 times)

Offline RenoB

• Standard User
Travel setup for French Press
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »
Couldn't find this covered so here goes.

I am spoiled with french pressed home roast but travel alot.  Hotels don't offer an option so I am looking to put together a traveling setup.  This may just consist of a stainless french press and an electric wand for boiling water.

Any recommendations for these items or suggestions for another travel friendly setup?

cfsheridan

Re: Travel setup for French Press
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:28:06 PM »
Here's my normal setup

Zassenhaus grinder
Aeropress (can make a decent cup with 170-180?F water--which is typical from a hotel coffee maker)
Beans in valve bags

Use rasqual's inverted method to prepare your french Aero press

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
I see it now... stainless steel diamond tread case with velvet lining.... holding french press, hand grinder and electric kettle...

I guess I don't travel enough... and when I do I just through it all together on my way out the door...

I think the aeropress would be my choice if I had to limit my choices on a trip... it is durable and versatile.. small electric kettle would be nice and grinder... in that order... I hate to think of traveling with pre ground coffee but in a pinch that is better than Hill's Brothers....

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 05:58:22 AM »
I've been thinking about this too.  The biggest problem seems to be the grinder.  It looks like one of these these (Hario Skeleton/Skerton?) would do (The zass grinders are too big for a reasonable kit, I think).  Ideally, I'd like a grinder to fit in the an electric kettle along with a handful of filters and a half pound or so of beans.  Add a plastic pour-over and a thermos and it'd be good to go.

Any body up for a Hario group buy?  Would that even be possible?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:03 AM »
I've been thinking about this too.  The biggest problem seems to be the grinder.  It looks like one of these these (Hario Skeleton/Skerton?) would do (The zass grinders are too big for a reasonable kit, I think).  Ideally, I'd like a grinder to fit in the an electric kettle along with a handful of filters and a half pound or so of beans.  Add a plastic pour-over and a thermos and it'd be good to go.

EDIT:
See if you can find a price on a case and I think a group buy would go well.... With ceramic burr grinder... I'd be all over one.  I've sent an email to Hario to see if we can get a group buy.  ($50 a grinder seems a bit high, but we'll see what they say for case pricing).

Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:30:55 AM by milowebailey »

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »
I sent an email to Hario a few minutes ago.  Barismo has them for ~$40 as does another Canadian outfit but they are both out of stock-- and have been.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

jspain

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:40:32 AM »
I like it! I would be in for a manual grinder if we do a distro!!!! I've taken the easy way out in the past and ground before leaving home...... I know, bad move! I take my press, 4 cup hot water maker, and coffee. (ground) I'd love to transition to having something small. The Boxster doesn't have much trunk space for road trips! jim  ;D

Tex

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:41:30 AM »

EDIT:
See if you can find a price on a case and I think a group buy would go well.... With ceramic burr grinder... I'd be all over one.  I've sent an email to Hario to see if we can get a group buy.  ($50 a grinder seems a bit high, but we'll see what they say for case pricing).

Stay tuned.

I'd line up to get one too. My wife, God love her, is intimidated by my commercial grinders. Even though she knows it's bad, she'll have me grind a weeks worth of coffee rather than use the MD-50. She has used her Grandmother's vintage German hand-grinder, so maybe she'd use one of these. If it's not too large it might also make a handy little pepper mill for the kitchen?

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
I see it now... stainless steel diamond tread case with velvet lining.... holding french press, hand grinder and electric kettle...

Foam lined Parker case containing the following: small butane stove, kettle, #6 cone filter holder w/ box of #6 filters, sugar, carafe from the Nissan stainless steel french press (virtually unbreakable), two *$ double walled SS (the old school kind), stirrer from a CafeSolo, grinder from that was carried by the Luftwaffe (a Zass just took too long to grind and both the hopper and drawer were just too small) and an ice tea spoon for dispensing the sugar.  Plus, separately, two or three old style glass Thermos filled with boiling water for rinsing/cleaning operations.

Carried in the rear of my Land Cruiser on long road trips and during any extended business trips that I drive to.  (I don't fly)

The whole operation takes 22 minutes from parking in a rest stop to pulling back out onto the highway.  During the time of water coming to a boil I walk the dogs and make a head call.

Unreasonable "kit"?  Yeah.

:-)

Rich
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:33:07 AM by Joe »

Offline RenoB

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
Some great ideas, especially the stainless steel diamond tread case with velvet lining  ;)

Thinking I'll go with the aeropress.  Just thought I'd grind before I leave but that manual grinder is enticing, I'd be in for one if that happens!

Thanks for the input.

Pyment

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
For a manual grinder I find a Geska is perfect. You see them now and again on ebay.

They usually go for less that $30 they give a good grind. When I fill it full, the hopper holds about 30 grams. It is smaller than a Zass and, because it is flat, easier to pack.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »
I sent an email to Hario a few minutes ago.  Barismo has them for ~$40 as does another Canadian outfit but they are both out of stock-- and have been.

Any reply from Japan? A group buy sounds pretty cool!

milowebailey

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
The case price FOB Japan is $29 per grinder (case of 12).  I'm checking to see what shipping would be for a case...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
I'd be in for one of those grinders if the group buy goes through.

jspain

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 05:49:17 PM »
You can add me to that list! Jim