Author Topic: Travel setup for French Press  (Read 2953 times)

milowebailey

Re: Travel setup for French Press
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 07:04:41 AM »
shipping from Japan is too high.... $18 per grinder.. that gets the price  up to $48 per grinder .... you can order them online for that price.  I'll see if there is any way to get them here any cheaper... but I suspect not.

Pyment

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 07:20:33 AM »
who is their US distributor? Last time I checked there wasn't one. There is a Canadian one though.

milowebailey

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »
I found them.  In Massachusetts

But look at this.... Hario makes a tabletop butane roaster..... hmmm we need to get someone in the USA to carry their gadgets.... very cool
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:34:01 AM by Joe »

Tex

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
... Hario makes a tabletop butane roaster...

That's cool - not sure what I'd use it for, but I can see it hooked up to a small motor with a pots to control speed. Rather than denatured alcohol, I'd probably set it up to use an electric heating coil - safer. Was there a price for the roaster?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:34:26 AM by Joe »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
Was there a price for the roaster?

Coffee Bean Roaster "RETRO" (RCR-50) CAD299.00
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 10:10:29 AM »
That translates into $240 USD.  Expensive for a novety.  Wonder if it even works?!

(saving my pennies in Benbrook, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

Tex

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
That translates into $240 USD.  Expensive for a novety.  Wonder if it even works?!

(saving my pennies in Benbrook, Texas)

When my wife saw it she figured it'd be better used as a chestnut roaster for the family room coffee table. She also likes to place the Silex with the hotplate on the coffee table for a bit of after dinner theater.

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 01:20:56 AM »
This used to be my coffee travel kit in a small bag when I was using the French press ...

The black thing at the bottom is a hand burr travel grinder from Clipper that I got from Amazon. You can actually adjust grind size with this grinder, but it's tiring, maybe coz handle is too short.

But then I got converted to the Aeropress, using Scott's inverted method. So this now is my travel kit ...

The grinder has been replaced by an electric blade grinder. Easier for me. That small bottle with kopi luwak label actually just contains brown sugar. I'm a sweet guy, y'know.  ;D

The beans are usually in half-pound bags with one-way valve in the my baggage. If I know I'd be in a good hotel, then I don't bring electric kettle. If there's none, then I'd just buy one. Cheap. I'm still in search of a small good electric water heater, something as small as my grinder, just 2 cups worth.

BobT