Author Topic: What roaster size woulld you buy?  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
What roaster size woulld you buy?
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
I have a friend who is willing to build a roaster, but I don't know a good size/ money.

Any opinions are appreciated, electric or gas etc.

Thanks,

-pat

cfsheridan

Re: What roaster size woulld you buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »
The $1500 for 2# is the lowest cost per pound, so that's an easy choice. ;)

Gas-fired, drum roaster.  If you can do that with decent themometry and manual controls for 1kg at $1500, we would applaud you.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
My needs are much smaller than that.  I could do with a maximum of 1/2 pound but if the roaster had a max 1 pound capacity and was able to roast 1/4 of a pound or less well ... then I would be happy with that.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:16:47 AM »
I'd be up for either the 2lb or 3.5 lb.  I'd be willing to design the control system using the now popular Milowidget.  If that would help keep the cost down that would be awesome.  I'd want a gas roaster for sure...

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:22:24 AM »
I'd be up for either the 2lb or 3.5 lb.  I'd be willing to design the control system using the now popular Milowidget.  If that would help keep the cost down that would be awesome.  I'd want a gas roaster for sure...

Natural gas or liquid propane?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:15:20 AM »

???
Most likely propane, must people don't have natural gas...

-pat

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:17:24 AM »

???
I'm a propane guy since that makes the roaster portable... NG you are pretty much stuck to one location.  But it would be great if there were 2 versions... the difference normally it's just orifice size (I know I'm opening myself up for some damage with that comment) ;D

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 08:53:38 AM »

???
I'm a propane guy since that makes the roaster portable... NG you are pretty much stuck to one location.  But it would be great if there were 2 versions... the difference normally it's just orifice size (I know I'm opening myself up for some damage with that comment) ;D

It's OK Milo, we're mostly guys here and we know about natural gas and orifices. :bootyshake:
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

???

I like portable but do not like the water vapor in propane... portable brings up a question... how hard would it be to have a roaster that is not reliant on electricity for the motors?? maybe propane electrical generator or a small gas engine??? noise would be bad... I am thinking of farmers market coop thread....

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:19:35 AM »
It's OK Milo, we're mostly guys here and we know about natural gas and orifices. :bootyshake:

Except for the ones that think they are and may be :bootyshake:.

:P
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »
This guy must be an Aggie! Looks like a handful of lettuce would get you through a typical day?

I like portable but do not like the water vapor in propane... portable brings up a question... how hard would it be to have a roaster that is not reliant on electricity for the motors?? maybe propane electrical generator or a small gas engine??? noise would be bad... I am thinking of farmers market coop thread....

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 11:02:50 AM »
This guy must be an Aggie! Looks like a handful of lettuce would get you through a typical day?

Hmm..?!?!  If I up scale to Guinea Pigs I could feed them coffee cherries and need less cages to run that 3 pound roaster... double bonus !!

Tex

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »
Make that Robusta cherries and you've got the makings of a great cottage industry - mini power plants for craft fairs.

8)

...feed them coffee cherries and run that 3 pound roaster...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:09:16 AM by Tex »

tjnamtiw

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
My needs are much smaller than that.  I could do with a maximum of 1/2 pound but if the roaster had a max 1 pound capacity and was able to roast 1/4 of a pound or less well ... then I would be happy with that.

My 2 cents.

:)

Then the Behmor is the one for you!  Works great!

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 05:32:38 AM »

...steam turbine,fired with clean burning coal.The steam power would turn the drum, the coal burning would supply plenty of heat....hmmm.... :icon_scratch:Gig 'em
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron