Author Topic: Need advice for my bro'  (Read 973 times)

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
Need advice for my bro'
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
He lives in Thailand and asked me about this roaster:

"Hey, is this roaster worth $40 second hand?
http://www.breworganic.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=760"

I know nothing about it. Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Sideways?

He's a total newbie, and I'm really not sure what is available there...(Chiang Mai)

Thanks for any feedback...

Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

thejavaman

Re: Need advice for my bro'
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:38:58 AM »
I actually started roasting darn near 10 years ago with a Freshroast.  It's a decent little air roaster and it's good for a beginner.  I haven't used mine in a long time, but the issues I had with it were it's small batch size and it's tendancy to roast too quickly.  I know it has been upgraded since I bought mine (It's now call the Freshroast +8), but I think the main issues are still there.  I believe MP and BW both have and roast with these occasionally.  Check out THIS LINK for more information.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »
Indeed I do have one.  It certainly is not a Hottop but is a great roaster for the money.  The heat does start high and stays there until the beans are roasted.  For $40.00 IMHO he cannot go far wrong.

Hope that helps.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »
I have gone through 3 of these - gave away two, kept the first one for posterity...  A Poppery 1 is much better.  You can do well with a FR8+ if you split wire it and use a variac to control the heat.  Otherwise the first and second cracks will overlap.  If you like charbux-style coffee, it works great right out of the box - you can go from green to French in about 6 minutes and the beans don't get properly dried so there is a lot of extra hydrolysis and creation of tannins.  Another option for an improved profile is to roast with a much smaller batch than recommended, to reduce bean-to-bean contact and increase the amount of time to roast - about 50g seems to work well if you have the internal potentiometer that controls the fan at full bore.