Author Topic: Vac pot trouble  (Read 1250 times)

kelikana

Vac pot trouble
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
Anyone ever have a vac pot explode after cooling?  not all the coffee dropped, maybe old dirty filter.

Kelikana

milowebailey

Re: Vac pot trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »
Anyone ever have a vac pot explode after cooling?  not all the coffee dropped, maybe old dirty filter.

Kelikana
I would suspect a crack or deep scratch in the pot...  no one was hurt were they?

Tex

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
How was it cooled? I've seen folks wrap a chilled cloth around the lower pot to reduce pressure quickly, and always wondered if it could cause problems. But if the glass had already cooled I can't see how it would happen - at least not without a blow to the glass.

kelikana

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
the countertop took the main force, more than anything it scared me!  I escaped with a few cuts on the hands.  It appears that maybe when twisting and prodding the top, to release the pressure, the stem might have touched the side of the bottom pot.

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
... when twisting and prodding the top, to release the pressure, the stem might have touched the side of the bottom pot.

Maybe I misunderstand, but it sounds as if the vacuum was still present.  I have never tried to take off the top dome when a vacuum was present.  On my Yama, there is no pressure to be released when I take off the top after the brew.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »
Seems like I read somewhere that it is possible for a vac pot to stall to the point that the filter completely stops up, and the pot implodes. You said all the coffee had not migrated to the bottom? Maybe you experienced this implosion?