Author Topic: New Toy  (Read 1712 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
New Toy
« on: February 26, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »
Well, after getting my books in order for the end of the year I have concluded that I may not have put much cash in my pocket but I sure did get a lot of nice toys! This past year the biz helped me upgrade to a YM10, purchase a couple new Vac pots, take Glacier's Vibiemme Domobar Super & Macap off his hands, buy various other brewers and gizmos along with today's latest arrival: a Technivorm Moccamaster KBT74!. I have not used a drip machine in a long time and it may not compare to my Yama or my French Press, but I thought, "I've worked my butt off this past year, why not get all the toys I can?" So I have! This year's plan: get a new BMW Motorcycle "delivery vehicle"...fully justified!

Just a quick update for those interested or pursuing the idea of going into business themselves. I would say at this point, after 15 months in business, that the decision to launch the business has been very worthwhile. I would do it again in a heartbeat. There are so many great experiences. Like when you are standing in line at Starbucks to buy a muffin wearing your B-town Beans Coffee Roasting Co. jacket and the girl behind the counters says, "Do you work for them? I saw their coffee at the store! Do you roast coffee? Cool!" Next thing you know, the entire store is listening to you talk coffee! Or the newspaper interviews, the on-location opportunities to preach your coffee gospel and maybe even a little TV exposure. Not to mention all the great people you get to meet. All in all, it has gone much better than I ever expected and shows great potential to grow. Because school was getting in the way, I stopped pursuing new business some time back, but it just keeps coming anyway. I am at a stopping point on school until August so I am going to put out a renewed effort to gain new business over the next few months. I also have a person interested in learning the trade so that I will have some backup. Even with the economy as it is, my business has continued to grow. Anyway, if you are toying with the idea, I think it can be a great experience as long as you realize that it is probably not going to be a "get rich quick" scheme. In fact, once the accountant and I put the numbers together, my wife said, "There's my new car!"  :o

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Stubbie

Re: New Toy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »
Shep,

I, for one, am thrilled to read this post from you.  Congrats, and make sure the Bimmer has hard bags so you don't crush any delicate beans splitting traffic. :)

-Stubbie

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:37:57 AM »
Before any of you guys quit your day jobs, realize it is hard hard work.

I miss the days when I could get my four thousand a month paychecks for just going in front of a class and talking a bit a few times a week. Health insurance, retirement acct funded, etc, etc. Working for yourself is a totally different animal.

Though shep is just roasting, I'm running a shop, which is different. I get the seven AM phone calls about the ice storm sending our  25' awning to the sidewalk (destroyed). Or simply no half and half, etc, etc.....

Roasting is a competitive business, so just want to put the word out there, that yeah you may get lucky and end up in a market that is just ripe for a new roaster, but you may end up in a market where the three or four guys ahead of you have already taken most of the market and you now need to claw your way in. Even if you have the best coffee in town.

We have the best coffee in town, but penetrating the wholesale market has been tough. So I've been focusing on retail. I figure the wholesale will come in time. And it is much lower profit anyway.

Cheers,

-N
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 02:14:02 AM »
That's great advice Nimbus, I'm glad you posted that.
Catch and release - into the grease!

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 02:24:32 AM »
It really is amazing how many roasters come out of the woodwork when you go into business. There was one here for years who was really looking to retire. Now, not counting me, there are 4! Nimbus is certainly correct; it is very competitive and if you think you are going to get rich, forget it. Remember, I still have my day job! In fact, I don't even plan on roasting to become my permanent job...never did. I will most likely sell if off down the road to someone else and move on with my next plan.

Shep

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »
I will most likely sell if off down the road to someone else and move on with my next plan.

Flippin sweet!  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:13:12 AM »
My real intent for the post was just to celebrate getting a Technivorm, not talk business. I apologize for the distraction. I only included the info because I get phone calls, emails, messages and even visits weekly from members who are curious.

Now, on to the Tech! I always wanted one and even though I normally use a Yama, my daughter uses a drip machine. I figured if I had to have one on the counter for her, I might as well have a cool one! I have used it about 4 times now. Here are a few random thoughts:

I was surprised that the funnel area of the machine was so basic (cheap?) for such an expensive machine. But, it works, so no big deal.

It seems like it would have been more efficient if the "rake" that drips the coffee extended about one more inch into the cone. If you do not stir the grounds or turn the filter holder a quarter turn, all the grounds do not get wet right away.

When you remove the carafe, some coffee is going to drip on the plastic plate. It took me a minute to think of the obvious...shut off the filter basket!

I have been brewing as per Sweet Maria's instructions in that I turned the basket off for the first 30 - 60 seconds while the grounds saturate, then open the cone half way for the rest of the brewing time (I like this feature). Instead of stir, I have been rotating the filter basket a quarter turn to saturate all grounds.

I have the stainless carafe and my wife thinks it looks nice on the counter...very important!

I brewed a sample of Royal's Costa Rica La Amistad and was very pleased with the results.

Is it worth the money? Well, I doubt it. After all, a $2 plastic cone works just as well! Would I buy it again? As long as the coffee business is paying for it...sure!

Shep

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »
Before any of you guys quit your day jobs, realize it is hard hard work.

I miss the days when I could get my four thousand a month paychecks for just going in front of a class and talking a bit a few times a week. Health insurance, retirement acct funded, etc, etc. Working for yourself is a totally different animal.

Though shep is just roasting, I'm running a shop, which is different. I get the seven AM phone calls about the ice storm sending our  25' awning to the sidewalk (destroyed). Or simply no half and half, etc, etc.....

Roasting is a competitive business, so just want to put the word out there, that yeah you may get lucky and end up in a market that is just ripe for a new roaster, but you may end up in a market where the three or four guys ahead of you have already taken most of the market and you now need to claw your way in. Even if you have the best coffee in town.

We have the best coffee in town, but penetrating the wholesale market has been tough. So I've been focusing on retail. I figure the wholesale will come in time. And it is much lower profit anyway.

Cheers,

-N
Oh come on, Nimbus!  It's really just like printing money and you know it.   ;)

BTW- I might be in Louisville in mid-October for a chemistry conference...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
Is it worth the money? Well, I doubt it.

That is respectable considering you already dropped the coin.

You could easily brag on how awesome it is but instead you told it as you see it after having to finagle with what is arguably the best home auto drip machine out there to get a good cup.

Props!  :icon_salut:

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison