Author Topic: Hacking drip brewers - My answer to >$200 drip brewers!  (Read 1276 times)

Tex

Hacking drip brewers - My answer to >$200 drip brewers!
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
I use a Melitta Clarity with a few mods. In stock form it received good marks (in fact I believe it had SCAA's seal of approval), but with a few mods it's truly a wonder. The only thing about it that I still don't like is its glass carafe.

I did the mod to close the big water holes and drilled 1/8" holes around the periphery of the dispersion plate to get better water dispersion over the grounds.

Here's a mod I just came up with: Cut a piece of foam and install it as shown, using RTV silicon sealant to secure it in place. Poke an instant read thermometer through the reservoir lid into the water. Here's how it works; Keep the brew lid open until the water reservoir temp reaches 100?F (or whatever you prefer), then lower the lid for brewing. Doing this I get the following readings at the dispersion plate;

1st 2 ozs @ 194?
2 - 4 ozs @ 200?
4+ ozs    @ 202? - 205?.

Keeping the lid up reroutes brew water back into the reservoir, preheating the brew water. This raises the temp at the start of the brew cycle. Lowering the brew lid pushes the foam dam out of the way and the water flows normally. I've been using this mod for a week now & it seems to work very well. I'll post an update later.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:27:21 PM by Tex »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Re: My answer to >$200 drip brewers!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
That's just brilliant.

Tex

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
It's proving difficult to find a resilient piece of foam, so I'm looking into using a spring-loaded piece of metal for the dam.

I figure to use a pin to hold the metal in place and use a mouse-trap spring so it can be moved aside by the lid and pop back into place when the lid is raised.

Something like that.

Modding is an iterative process that usually begins with
a brain-fart and ends with a trip to the emergency room!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:37:43 AM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
That sounds good Robert ... too bad they don't sell them anymore.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
I think I have the Droopy thing going on in reverse...  I keep blowing all my good ideas out my @$$.

Tex

Re: Hacking drip brewers - My answer to >$200 drip brewers!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »
It's show & tell time!

This is the kind of mod I prefer; cheap, easy to do, and with the potential for great results. Granted the Clarity has a layout that makes modding easy, but there must be other cheap machines out there with lots of unused potential.

Show us your mod, better yet show and explain what it's supposed to do, and what your results are so far.