Author Topic: Ambex YM-2  (Read 1781 times)

Ghoti

Ambex YM-2
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
Looking at acquiring a Ambex YM-2 I would like to know what members think of Ambex as a roaster andI would love to chat with anyone who has one or has used one. Thanks

barko78

Re: Ambex YM-2
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »
Looking at acquiring a Ambex YM-2 I would like to know what members think of Ambex as a roaster andI would love to chat with anyone who has one or has used one. Thanks

A few members here have Ambex products.  I bought a 2008 YM2 brand new to start learning on.
So far I have no complaints.  The roaster has exceeded my expectations with not only the durability but also with producing a very nice, controllable roast.
If you haven't used a production roaster before you will have a learning curve, as usual. 
I've found the roaster to be very dependable, never as much as a hickup.  I clean it once a month which takes about 1 hour.  Basiclly the fan blades need cleaning, vacuum chaff and grease the bearing - all which are easy to get to.
Allthough it's a 5.5lb roaster, the max for me is 4-4.5lbs.  Anything over 4.5 lbs and you pretty much have to max the flames just to keep a slow profile, which also can cause scorching of the coffee and airlow issues.  The smallest amount I roast is 16oz.  I've heard of people roasting 8oz on the YM2 so I know it's possible, but the bean probe wouldn't be accurate.  So the real range is 1-4.5lbs / batch for me.
The finish on the YM2 is very attractive, it's built solid and performs well. 
If I had to recommend to change something, I would make the bean cooler smaller in diameter but deeper.  When I dump roasts 2.5lb and under the beans don't cover the entire bottom of the cooler while the stir arms are on.  As they stir some of the holes are uncovered which prevent the build up of airflow needed to cool.  The best way around this is to stir initially, but then turn the sweeper off and spread the beans so they cover the bottom of the cooler completely.  This will get them cooled fast.
I would recommend Ambex to just about anyone.  I may be upgrading in the near future, and while I'm looking at other roasters, a new Ambex 10kilo is one of them.
I should also note their support is also very good.  They are quick to get back to you with questions and advice.  Most of the parts for the roaster are available at Grainger too, which makes things nice should something go wrong.

If you have any specific questions just ask away.  Like I said there are a few members here that use an Ambex.

Ben

Ghoti

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
In buying a used Ambex is there any problems I should be looking out for.

barko78

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
In buying a used Ambex is there any problems I should be looking out for.
I responded to your PM but here are some more thoughts.
Check the obvious, just like buying a car you want to check for dents, knicks, scratches.  Things that may rust over time.  Those shouldn't be dealbreakers but will give you leverage when making an offer.

Power the roaster and open the dump door.  Make sure the drum isn't wobbleing, which would indicate that it's warped.  There are two more motors to check, the sweeper and the fan motor.  Just turn on the sweeper and make sure the stir arms turn.  The fan should be on automaticlly and check the exhaust port for air blowing from it.
If the owner knows how to use the roaster he/she should allow you to roast a batch and show you the basic operation.  If not just follow the basic profile that I explained in my PM.  Use a washed bean.
The big thing is to see if the roaster has the updated electronic gas valve/guage combo instead of the older mechanical arm to adjust the gas.  If it has the latter, you might want to consider calling ambex to see how much the retro-fit kit costs since that would be a really nice upgrade for the roaster.