Author Topic: La Pavoni Napolitana?  (Read 1334 times)

JoshInCA

La Pavoni Napolitana?
« on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »

I'm not in the know on espresso machines. For $150 ... is this a steal, an ordinary deal, or not a good idea at all? (I've never yet pulled a shot in my life ...)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:54:16 PM by Joe »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: La Pavoni Napolitana?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
If you can pick that up for $150 and it is in half decent shape then I think it is certainly a great deal.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »
s/s boiler, small portafilter, lousy grinder, etc, etc...

I'd save my money until I found a decent Gaggia Espresso or Carezza and a quality espresso grinder. Figure a minimum budget of $350 for both if you shop eBay/Craig's List very carefully.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:59:21 PM »
I guess some elaboration is needed here.  If you want to do the dance and learn proper espresso technique then you may want to hold out for a Gaggia espresso machine with a great used Italian commercial grinder.  The upgrade path here being maybe an HX machine or commercial restore job.  With this method you would probably get the best espresso and cappuccino drinks.

If you just want to get into the espresso scene and don't necessarily want to do the dance then the La Pavoni with built in grinder may be for you.  Upgrade path for this might be a super auto.  This way you give up the dance for convenience and a consistent but mediocre espresso or cappuccino.

Ultimately the choice of path is up to you.

:)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:34:05 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
For $150, the best way to go is a decent grinder & a vac pot or Aerobie Aeropress.

Believe me, bad espresso isn't worth the trouble - it'll have you swearing off coffee completely. The vac pot or Aeropress will provide you with a very good cup of coffee, and you can save your money until you can get a good starter espresso machine.

JoshInCA

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:43:49 PM »
The upgrade path here being maybe an HX machine or commercial restore job

An HX machine ... hmmm, gotta go do some research ... ah, an HX machine! Looks a little ... ah ... well ...

With this method you would probably get the best espresso and cappuccino drinks.
Um  ...   o   k    a    y    ....

::backs away cautiously::

This espresso thing may be more complexificated than what I first figured on ...  :P

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:50:08 PM by Joe »

JoshInCA

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »
Seriously, though, I can't see mediocre espresso being the way to contentment.

More research = more time to build up my account at the Bank Of Behind the Sofa Cushions, too.  :D

mattquist

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:41:10 AM »
That's funny!   Strange how even as a full grown adult things still manage to relate back to the bathroom humor of a 12-year old.

JoshInCA

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:08:34 AM »
That's funny!   Strange how even as a full grown adult things still manage to relate back to the bathroom humor of a 12-year old.

Well ... yah. Although I prefer to think of myself as full-groan, at best.

And it was one of the first hits when I searched. Honest.   :angel: