Author Topic: Sonofresco roasting notes  (Read 1116 times)

Tex

Sonofresco roasting notes
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »
I'm just starting to drink a batch I roasted in my Sonofresco Tuesday, June, 2nd. It was a full 1½ pounds (1.4 lbs is recommended), 50/50 Brazilian/Yiracheffe and I took it to 463° (darker than I usually go). With the extra volume/weight in the roast chamber the beans didn't start moving a lot until they'd reached a medium cinnamon color. Some beans must've gotten trapped against the bottom of the chamber because I saw a few obviously burned beans while the rest were still very light in color.

Other than these few black beans the rest colored evenly throughout the roasting process. I used the Sonofresco roast program #4, planning to shut the gas off at 465°, but the program shut the roast down at the correct point automatically (a first for me, normally I just roast to a level & shut the gas off and let the fan cool the beans).

This morning I pulled two doubles for my normal Americano (4 ozs espresso, 10 ozs 200° water, 2 ozs heavy cream). This was so good before I added the cream that I made another ristretto for a quick shot. I've heard folks talking about their God Shots and I've had a few myself over the years that I thought might've fallen into that category. But this ristretto? It was heavenly - sweet like premium maple syrup, thick/viscous like honey, and a flavor intensity much like one gets from a very peaty single-malt scotch. This was a truly great cup of coffee! Hopefully, when the wife gets home tonight I can repeat it for her enjoyment.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:17:29 AM by Tex »

mattquist

Re: Sonofresco roasting notes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »
Sounds like Milo's sonofresco is working well then.  This should make him very happy!

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
Tex

Don't you put too many roasts on MY sono... or you'll have to refund some of my $$.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
Robert ... just imagine how good Milo's Sonofresco will be when he puts the Milowidget on it.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »
Tex

Don't you put too many roasts on MY sono... or you'll have to refund some of my $$.

It's ONLY yours if you get that antique moka pot for me!  :P

Tex

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:42:23 PM »
Robert ... just imagine how good Milo's Sonofresco will be when he puts the Milowidget on it.

I guess he can beta test it on my machine before he puts it on his. :P

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »
I guess he can beta test it on my machine before he puts it on his. :P

Oh ... you want him to beta test on his machine?

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski