Author Topic: Technivorm / Swiss Gold  (Read 1327 times)

Steve7

Technivorm / Swiss Gold
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:41:10 AM »
Hey,

I gave up messing with espresso, as I just made a mess. I have settled on a Technivorm drip (KBT 741).
I use a swiss gold 4 basket.

Just asking for any owners' tips. My main problem is the basket bunging up, and the water not getting through quick enough. The swiss gold seems to jam quite easily.
I know I can just increase the grind size, but I just wondered if there was any guide to getting it right. Maybe I am putting too much in the basket to start with?

Anyway, this is more a chance to see if there are any other users of the technivorm, or swiss gold filter out there, and see if you have any advice. I have read the sweetmarias tip sheet, so please do not pass on website advice... prefer your own experiences.

Thanks

jspain

Re: Technivorm / Swiss Gold
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:51:46 AM »
I have a technovorn and use a Swiss Gold filter. Had it now for many years. My experience is I've never had a "clog" or over flow? I'd say it is a grind issue. I grind my drip pretty fine. Half way between espresso and press. I don't use the Technovorn much now. I'm a vac pot convert! Technovorm gets decaf in it and is used mostly by the wife.   Jim

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:34:35 AM »
Hmmmm...isn't there a setting to let you control how fast the water goes through? Mine has that. Middle setting works great for average grinds.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

Steve7

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:57:55 AM »
That was stating the obvious a bit... I am aware of the drip rate switch as an owner!

If the filter bungs, then the switch position is irrelevant.

I just wondered if other users found the filter particularly sensitive to change in grinds.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 08:13:51 AM »
What do you mean by 'bunging up'?  If you mean the filter is clogging, then the drip rate could certainly be the problem.  It's either the drip rate or the grind.

The issue with the grind may be your grinder; if particle size is not uniform, and you're getting too many fines, that would present a problem.  What sort of grinder do you use, and how are the burrs?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »
What do you mean by 'bunging up'?  

;D

I think it's a take off of Bungle in the Jungle... where the grounds are "fast but lazy" so water gets trapped up top and makes a mess.

The second issue with some  autodrips is bloombasticated where you get overbloom...related somewhat to bunging up.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:29:06 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:42:54 AM »

The second issue with some  autodrips is bloombasticated where you get overbloom...related somewhat to bunging up.

;D ;D

I have that problem with the Bunn coffee maker at work. The beans have to be 4-5 days old or else the bloom will push it's way up and out of the filter basket, resulting in a helluva mess.