Author Topic: Gaggia Carezza vs Saeco Aroma  (Read 1345 times)

sduck27

Gaggia Carezza vs Saeco Aroma
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
Going back and forth about these 2 espresso machine which one is best?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Gaggia Carezza vs Saeco Aroma
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »
Saeco owns Gaggia.  Having said that now Philips has bought out Saeco. 

They are two different machines.  Saeco uses the pressurized portafilter to make coffee.  Gaggia has much higher wattage and an industry standard 58 mm portafilter so if teamed up with a good Italian espresso grinder you will get some decent shots with it.  The saeco will give you faut crema as the pressurized portafilter manufactures it.  Coffee connoisseurs would take the Gaggia route for the better taste ... others may take the Saeco route.

In a nut shell that is the difference between the 2.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

sduck27

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »
in the $250-300 range(for the machine) grinder in a seperate budget. is there other options i should be looking at?

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
Are you looking at buying new or used?  Do you think you would want to one day upgrade your equipment or not?

lp, 7-Ski

sduck27

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »
the machine will be for fun (not looking to upgrade in the near future) if i can get a better one (more durable) used i would do that.....  I can mess with stuff i little to fix, if needed.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »

Gaggia wins, hands down. I recommend the Gaggia Classic paired with a Cunill Tranquilo grinder.

That'll make some fine espresso and you won't feel the need to upgrade for a long time.  :)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »

Gaggia wins, hands down. I recommend the Gaggia Classic paired with a Cunill Tranquilo grinder.

That'll make some fine espresso and you won't feel the need to upgrade for a long time.  :)

Robert ... he said his price range was 250 - 300.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »
Well...a refurb New Baby is $311 right now. 

OT:  Did 1st line stop selling Gaggia?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »

That'll make some fine espresso and you won't feel the need to upgrade for a long time.  :)

Robert ... he said his price range was 250 - 300.

Then I'd check this search of eBay for a good buy.

Or, This search of Craig's List.

If nothing else, get the grinder and an Aeropress and save up for a good machine.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:03:39 PM by Tex »

thecashin

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »

They are two different machines.  Saeco uses the pressurized portafilter to make coffee.  Gaggia has much higher wattage and an industry standard 58 mm portafilter so if teamed up with a good Italian espresso grinder you will get some decent shots with it.  The saeco will give you faut crema as the pressurized portafilter manufactures it.  Coffee connoisseurs would take the Gaggia route for the better taste ... others may take the Saeco route.

I have an Aroma, and have removed the pressurization component of the PF (a very easy and neat procedure).
It is now producing a very nice thick crema, and as an added bonus the PF is now easier to clean.

No need to discount the Saeco based on the pressurized PF

Tex

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 01:11:45 PM »

I have an Aroma, and have removed the pressurization component of the PF (a very easy and neat procedure).
It is now producing a very nice thick crema, and as an added bonus the PF is now easier to clean.

No need to discount the Saeco based on the pressurized PF

You're correct, the portafilter isn't Saeco's real weak link. The s/s boiler is though, and there's little to be done to help matters there.  :(