Author Topic: Poppery air-popper fan speed control?  (Read 1066 times)

Tex

Poppery air-popper fan speed control?
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »
I'll be playing around with a a friend's Poppery next week, and I don't understand what function my variac plays that a simple pots can't handle? Of course the pots would have to be rated to handle the fan electrical capacity, but it shouldn't be difficult to locate one.

So why did I listen to CW and spend ~$200 on my variac?  ???

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Poppery air-popper fan speed control?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »
I'll be playing around with a a friend's Poppery next week, and I don't understand what function my variac plays that a simple pots can't handle? Of course the pots would have to be rated to handle the fan electrical capacity, but it shouldn't be difficult to locate one.

variac is for the heat... I think... I separated my fan from my heat (you need a transformer for the fan it is NOT 110v, I got the dead motor to prove it) put the fn on a dimmer and the heat on a switch... turned on and off the switch till I got a PID to do it for me and now they collect chaff from my SC/TO (not very effectively I might add)  so the variac is for the heat or you can watch your temp like a hawk and be your own PID

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Re: Poppery air-popper fan speed control?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »

A potentiometer certainly can't handle power; you'd need a rheostat for that. A big one, if you're controlling heat.

You could boost the fan speed with a transformer, then throttle back on it as necessary with a light dimmer.

The idea of a variac is to get one that'll boost to 140 VAC or so -- then you can throttle the blower up or down as needed.