Author Topic: Simple alternative to plumbing an espresso machine  (Read 816 times)

Tex

Simple alternative to plumbing an espresso machine
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
A rotary pump will safely draw water from a container sitting at the same level or even lower (one manufacturer specifies a 6 ft lifting capacity). Here's how I use my machine while I'm waiting for my cousin to hook up the water softener/filter kit I bought from Chris Coffee.

One caveat - since the unit's not plumbed to a never-ending water supply, it's up to you to make sure the pump is never run dry.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:54:01 AM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Simple alternative to plumbing an espresso machine
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »
One caveat - since the unit's not plumbed to a never-ending water supply, it's up to you to make sure the pump is never run dry.

Yeah ... that was the deal breaker for me ... that is why we now are sporting an Isomac instead of a Bunn.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
That's how I have my custom rotary Brewt. I've almost neglected the water level a few times.  :-[
I use a Fluid o Tech, but I'm not sure if ALL rotary pumps do well sucking. Procons surely will.

- -Barrett

Tex

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
The guy that bought my first Bunn has his hooked up to a five-gallon water bottle with a FloJet pump. It's hooked up to a normally closed SSR that'll open the espresso machine circuit if the pump doesn't pull water.

Of course, not being blind like him, I rely on the ol' MK1 eyeballs to tell me when I need to add water! ;)