Author Topic: Milk Frothers?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Milk Frothers?
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
I not really familiar with milk frothers. From a Google search I see there are stove top frothers that look like they function much like a steam wand on an espresso machine, electric whisk-type frothers, manual whisk-type frothers, things that look like a french press, and other strange looking devices.

Can some one who is a little more familiar with these devices give me the pros and cons of the ones you have used?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Re: Milk Frothers?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »
My mother bought the one from Williams Sonoma (I think the Cuisinart).  Made killer hot chocolate for the kiddos.  Never used it for espresso.  :(
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »
I just got my Aerolatte from Amazon where they're on 4 for 3 promo. I'll give it a try this weekend and get back to you with my impressions.
No coffee, No workee!

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:31:20 AM »
I have used the stovetop frothers quite a bit.  They work just great if you don't have huge volumes to froth.  I have never had very good results with the mechanical or sonic frothers.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »
What is it you want to accomplish with the milk?

I can see a case for all the devices really depending on what you want out of them..

If you are talking about camping for instance I think you need the stovetop but if it's for home I have thought several times about just picking up a cheap steam toy. If it's just something fast to but a bit of milk into an AP shot the hand held gizmos should give you a little air expansion or foam if you can heat the milk somehow.

Do you just want hot and steamed or whipped up and foamy?

It depends.....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:05:49 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:02:03 AM »
I just got my Aerolatte from Amazon where they're on 4 for 3 promo. I'll give it a try this weekend and get back to you with my impressions.

Yeah ... we had one like that ... they work great ... for as long as they last.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 11:14:13 AM »

Do you just want hot and steamed or whipped up and foamy?

It depends.....

Probably leaning more toward foamy and whipped up. I don't do a lot of milk drinks but the wife loves them.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
Probably leaning more toward foamy and whipped up. I don't do a lot of milk drinks but the wife loves them.

I'm guessing she doesn't care about proper micofoam and art,  just a tasty drink.

I think any of them will work for that. I remember when I had my first steam toy I would drizze a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom of a cup with a tsp of sugar, pour the "espresso"  :-\ on top and stir. I'd steam some milk that would give me a distinct 2 layer result. Using a butter knife I'd hold back the foam to pour the steamed flat in and allow it to mix, pull the knife away to dump the foam on top and people would rave on that stuff. Looking back I'm still horrified at how that coffee looked...such a murky mess but back then it got thumbs up from all takers and I remember thinking even that stuff was better than anything I could buy in a cafe'.

None of that is to say you want to serve your wife less than great coffee just that if the result we are after is just some textured milk to pour in people will be pretty happy with almost all of it. Only when you start peering into the foam and wondering "what could make this even better" does the trouble start.  8)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 05:50:04 AM »

Don Dante, this looks like the $1.50 frother I bought from those bargain shops in the mall in Cagayan de oro.  ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 06:34:54 AM »
my wife just picked up something like the aerolatte... it was $11 on clearance at Ace Hdwr...

I suggested the bodum (french press looking) frother but I don't know if they are really better??? 

If I ever get a real espresso machine it will be because I can make her a mug of milk foam any time she wants... (I think that is an art all its own?!?!)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 07:35:11 AM »
Will any type of frothers produce microfoam similar to what an espresso machine can produce?

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »
Will any type of frothers produce microfoam similar to what an espresso machine can produce?

mine can't. i doubt the rest can, too. too big bubbles.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »

If so it would be the stove top.

You need to be able to control how much initial air you are introducing and then be able to crush/incorporate that air getting you into the micro zone.

The wizzers and whippers are just going to give you fluffy foam to one degree or another.

Lee Morrison