Author Topic: Gear motor wiring question.  (Read 834 times)

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Gear motor wiring question.
« on: October 31, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
I've working on a BBQ roaster and have a question for any of you electricians out there.

I bought a couple of these: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009103106001556&item=5-1644&catname= and I'm not 100% sure exactly how I should wire it up. IThe motor has a ground wire and two identical black wires coming from the transformer. Does it matter which one of the black wires I connect to the hot and the neutral mains? I think it doesn't matter, but I wanted to check in before I turn it on. Thanks!

var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Gear motor wiring question.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:19:52 PM »
if its not labeled then it probably wont matter.  Id meter it though just to make sure one isn't tied to ground.   Technically the neutral may be at ground potential and is supposed to be tied to ground but that's not always the case.  Either way if that was the case and you hooked that one up to the hot side, you'd have a bit of a problem there.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »
OK, so my plan is to wire the ground (which is connected to the chassis of the motor) to the ground on my switch (I'm using a household light switch) and arbitrarily wire one black lead to hot and one to neutral. 

I think I'll flick the switch with a broom handle the first time just to be sure.  :icon_sunny:

maxmojo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
Make sure you hook up to run cw direction facing the output shaft (as the gear motor is made to operate). If it turns the wrong direction unhook the two black wires and reverse them. It has delrin gears and probably won't last long in in a hot environment turning a drum.

Mojo

http://www.molon.com/pdffiles/hgm.pdf

I don't believe it has a transformer those are field windings
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 04:56:17 PM by maxmojo »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »
The ground should not be switched.  A ground should be a solid connection that is not switched through anything.  If you meant hook it up to the ground wire that is in the switch box then yes that'd work ok.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
Thanks, guys!

I'm sure you're correct about the windings/coil, mojo, and I'll make sure it turns the right direction... and yes I was planning on connecting the motor's ground to the same place as the mains ground goes on the switch.