Author Topic: Several new Poplites, all overheat within a couple of months  (Read 17169 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Several new Poplites, all overheat within a couple of months
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2023, 05:42:17 AM »
Maybe it can have a comeback.  With the coffee thing here, no longer just a fad, they'd probably sell a butt ton of them and man the price that thing went for to begin with, that'd explode our community with new home roasters.  It'd bring affordability like crazy!

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2023, 07:03:53 AM »
That was the mission of the PAAR.  For $100 someone "could" get drinkable 100g roasts.   

After the initial surge demand evaporated-probably because it didn't last and couldn't complete its mission.  Its developers seem to have decent luck with it but nobody else seems to. I've not heard of anyone here using one besides me and now that mine went to the trash that experiment is over.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2023, 07:49:40 PM »
Is it just me or does it seem that people no longer want to experiment, tinker or build things?  They just want it handed to them ready to go NO effort on their part?

I remember this forum used to be alive with projects going on all over the place with people tinkering and trying this and that, brewing this and that, and now, hell, if a post is more than 2 sentences long, the tictard generation,  TLDR  derp.

Maybe Im just grown old, and days way back then when WE pioneered all this shit.... are long gone.
I should pull up my old redneck roaster of 20 years ago if that exists somewhere on the net still just for nostalgia.
Or maybe this weekend just for S and G's I should dust off one of my I roasts and fire off a batch !!

Aaron.
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2023, 01:54:06 PM »
Lots of folks are building roasters (mostly fluid bed with heat guns and sifters) because they're frustrated with the quality or features of affordable offerings. You can't really monitor bean processes through the roast with the lower priced commercial offerings either which is what folks want.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2023, 11:28:06 AM »
The I roast was not really a bad unit for what it was, given the time and the infancy of the roasting world and all,  it was not that expensive either really TBH compared to the hot top that was also for sale back then too if I remember correctly.   I don't see why someone can't come out with a reasonably priced roaster similar to the I roast.  I mean it did work, though it was loud.

Aaron