Author Topic: 2lb Sonofresco smaller batches  (Read 2728 times)

Offline hottop

• Standard User
2lb Sonofresco smaller batches
« on: August 21, 2020, 07:41:06 AM »
Considering purchasing a 2 lb Sonofresco to use instead of my 4lb drum roaster and hottop.  Curious as to the 2lb machines ability to roast at less than full capacity.  This would be a propane based machine and would have to be a portable (meaning driveway) setup.  I currently use a shop made 4 lb drum roaster that uses a propane grill and a total rig job shop vac cooler.  My typical roasting session consists of doing two 3 1/2 lb roasts back to back. During the holidays or when I am gifiting coffee it can be many more roasts back to back.I am using the hottop for smaller specialty batches such as Kona or JBM.  I want to know if the Sonofresco is flexible enough to do the smaller batches.  The idea is that the sonofresco would supplant my other roasters thereby saving space.  Thoughts? Are there alternatives to the Sonofresco at their price point?  I've read some of the posts about bright roasts being a problem.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:47:31 AM by hottop »
Hottop
Punta Gorda, FL
Hottop
Sonofresco

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
Re: 2lb Sonofresco smaller batches
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 09:37:31 AM »
Give them a call and ask how small of a roast it will do.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
Give them a call and ask how small of a roast it will do.

If it is like the 1 lb then it it’s really 2 lbs all time
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »
That is too bad and I figured that was case; being a half pound would really launch the beans.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:41:44 AM »
How small a batch do you want to do?  And what's keeping you from doing that on your drum/grill?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline hottop

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »
To answer my own question and after a very helpful chat with them...     
The 2 lb roaster can only do 2 lbs.  The 1 lb version can do a "sample" roast of 1/4th of a pound.  My RK drum roaster can do smaller batches, but I am looking for a roaster with a smaller footprint than my RK drum propane grill with redneck cooler does.  The cooling system on my propane grill roaster setup uses a shop vac that pushes air up through a metal colander. This also helps with chaff removal AND unlike when pulling air through the beans and colander, doesn't result in melted hoses.
Hottop
Punta Gorda, FL
Hottop
Sonofresco