Author Topic: Frothers  (Read 2905 times)

Roasting Realtor

Frothers
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
My church is in need of a frother to keep up with the super automatic they just bought.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Most of the people helping in the coffee shop no very little about coffee, so the more automatic it is the better.

Tex

Re: Frothers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »
My church is in need of a frother to keep up with the super automatic they just bought.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Most of the people helping in the coffee shop no very little about coffee, so the more automatic it is the better.

I'd need more specifics first: Do you want true microfoam or just frothy milk for drinks?

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
That's a great question and one I am also interested in. The weather is getting colder and some of my Farmers Market customers are starting to ask if we're going to produce a pumpkin latte (among others) for the fall.... very tough to do without an espresso machine so I'm going to have to improvise.

Does anyone have experience with something like the Capresso FrothXpress Milk Frother?  http://www.wholelattelove.com/reviews.cfm?1=1&itemID=390&reviewID=8884&page=1#anchor

Do you think something like this would work for your church?
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
I think that frothy milk for drinks is all they are shooting for.

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »

Does anyone have experience with something like the Capresso FrothXpress Milk Frother?  http://www.wholelattelove.com/reviews.cfm?1=1&itemID=390&reviewID=8884&page=1#anchor

Do you think something like this would work for your church?

It doesn't look like it can handle the volume (translates into very slow) for what they need.  I'm hoping there is something between this and the $800 options I've seen.

Obviously they should have bought a decent espresso machine that can froth and make drinks at the same time, but budget is a concern in our church.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »

I searched for something similar when my church was thinking of using a super-auto for coffee service. Here's what I found: If your numbers are high enough this class of frother will do a good job paired with that class of espresso machine

If it was a semi or full automatic HX or double boiler machine you could get one of the add-on frothers that connect to the steam wand. From what I saw when I looked at super-autos, their steam capacity just isn't enough to power one of the add-ons. But that was a few years ago, so I'd call EPNW and ask their opinion of their suitability for your machine.

edited: We ended up buying a cheap used 2-group HX from a local espresso dealer. We also recruited a small cadre of folks to be barista trainers so the same folks wouldn't get stuck with the job. It's worked out well so far, with only one trip to the emergency room for a minor burn wound.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:12:34 PM by Tex »

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:52:29 PM »

Super Automatic? LOL! I was happy just to be able to get my little confessional Lutheran church to break away from the percolated Folgers swill and go to Jim's Java "coffee of the day" drip.
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

Pyment

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 06:08:10 AM »
I have read some reviews on lever machines that made me think they might make a good stand alone frother.

and the price isn't so bad:

http://olympic.craigslist.org/app/1953147768.html

and this:

http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/lapavoni/autofrth.htm

Maybe you buy the machine and lend it to the church.

They get an autofrother. You get a lever machine.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:18:41 AM »

I searched for something similar when my church was thinking of using a super-auto for coffee service. Here's what I found: If your numbers are high enough this class of frother will do a good job paired with that class of espresso machine

If it was a semi or full automatic HX or double boiler machine you could get one of the add-on frothers that connect to the steam wand. From what I saw when I looked at super-autos, their steam capacity just isn't enough to power one of the add-ons. But that was a few years ago, so I'd call EPNW and ask their opinion of their suitability for your machine.

edited: We ended up buying a cheap used 2-group HX from a local espresso dealer. We also recruited a small cadre of folks to be barista trainers so the same folks wouldn't get stuck with the job. It's worked out well so far, with only one trip to the emergency room for a minor burn wound.

With all due respect you could probably get a nice 1 group used machine for less than that and it will make espresso and steam milk rather nicely.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline 7over

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:25:43 AM »
The Bezzera looks like the perfect steamer / frother. No question about capability with that thing!
Unfortunately, I don't have $600.00 to drop on one. I could order 8 or so of the Capresso FrothXpress Milk Frothers for less than the Bezzera and probably outstrip its production capacity at the same time! The best part is that the capresso looks like it could be idiot proof as well. To find out, I've just ordered one of them from Whole Latte Love. When it comes in I'll personally put it to the test and see just how idiot proof it is... and whether a bevvy of 3 of them could keep up with our market business for the next six weeks.

I'll keep you informed....

Pete

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
The Bezzera looks like the perfect steamer / frother. No question about capability with that thing!
Unfortunately, I don't have $600.00 to drop on one. I could order 8 or so of the Capresso FrothXpress Milk Frothers for less than the Bezzera and probably outstrip its production capacity at the same time! The best part is that the capresso looks like it could be idiot proof as well. To find out, I've just ordered one of them from Whole Latte Love. When it comes in I'll personally put it to the test and see just how idiot proof it is... and whether a bevvy of 3 of them could keep up with our market business for the next six weeks.

I'll keep you informed....

Pete

I qualify for the idiot part.  Should I test it?  I already filled out Form ID10T.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Ray T

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »

Tex

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
Will this work ?   http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/closeoutdeals/quickmillmilksteamer

I read the description and it sounds like it has no boiler. I've yet to see a thermoblock that was worth a damn, but if it has a money back satisfaction warranty what's there to lose? But DO double check; not all discounted items are returnable!

Pyment

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

Offline 7over

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 04:11:45 PM »
Will this work ?   http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/closeoutdeals/quickmillmilksteamer

That one looks like a much better bet than the others I've been looking at... hmmm... can I return the Capresso before it ships?