Author Topic: Frothers  (Read 2904 times)

Tex

Re: Frothers
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »
Will this work ?   http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/closeoutdeals/quickmillmilksteamer

That one looks like a much better bet than the others I've been looking at... hmmm... can I return the Capresso before it ships?

Does the Capresso use a thermoblock or boiler? I wouldn't bet on the Quickmill's performance or longevity. IMO - thermoblocks are a POS!

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »
It uses a thermoblock as well. ... and now that I've seen some video's of it, the steamed milk and froth it produces look to be substantially sub par.
Looks like I'm spending $200.00. I probably won't even unpack the Capresso's now!

The markets only last another six weeks but if the latte's are a hit, we could be making two to three hundred of them by then. We will continue to do indoor stuff during the winter so I'll get a good chance to see if the thermoblock is going to hold up or not. 
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

Tex

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 08:56:32 AM »
I bought the church four of these - picked 'em up at Tuesday Morning. Basically, they're the same as the steam toys, but with just a steam wand. They work well, and if you find ones with a screw valve instead of the press-type, even better! Or just use a steam toy - they're cheap and they steam well.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:59:16 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »
I have a steam toy you can have.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
The Bezzera looks like the perfect steamer / frother. No question about capability with that thing!
Unfortunately, I don't have $600.00 to drop on one. I could order 8 or so of the Capresso FrothXpress Milk Frothers for less than the Bezzera and probably outstrip its production capacity at the same time! The best part is that the capresso looks like it could be idiot proof as well. To find out, I've just ordered one of them from Whole Latte Love. When it comes in I'll personally put it to the test and see just how idiot proof it is... and whether a bevvy of 3 of them could keep up with our market business for the next six weeks.

I'll keep you informed....

Pete

Look forward to your review.

ecc

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
Although I see the point with the steam toy, with a bunch of people in line I would rather have the Quickmill.  

I have one, and although you could criticize the quality of the micro-foam, or the amount of milk waste, (I do the mid-stream thing, and clean it with water before/after runs) the thing will spit a steady stream until you run out of milk.  I have no comment about longevity, (yet) and have never tortured it they way you will.

It also looks decently commercial on the counter.

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »
it uses a thermoblock:

http://www.quickmill.it/MyIndex.php?Lang=ENG&Menu=Prodotto&id_prod=85

This one looks interesting.  Anyone have any experience with one?  Sounds like it might be idiot proof too.

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »
Although I see the point with the steam toy, with a bunch of people in line I would rather have the Quickmill.  

I have one, and although you could criticize the quality of the micro-foam, or the amount of milk waste, (I do the mid-stream thing, and clean it with water before/after runs) the thing will spit a steady stream until you run out of milk.  I have no comment about longevity, (yet) and have never tortured it they way you will.

It also looks decently commercial on the counter.

Thanks.  I don't think that micro-foam is as important right now as speed.  If they have to wait in line for 10 minutes to get a cup of coffee at church, they might just skip it next time, so speed it important right now until we can afford a plumbed in machine. 

It will see about 3 hours of use a week at this point, so I don't think we will torture it to bad.

Tex

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
I got this from Chris Coffee;

The Quick Mill steamer is a heat bank machine. I attached some pictures, but they are not the greatest since the shell is so small it's hard to get a good view. The steamer does a great job of steaming milk as long as you keep it clean of dried up milk by running some water through the milk tube when you are done. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Regards,

Jason Verenini
Chris' Coffee

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »

... If they have to wait in line for 10 minutes to get a cup of coffee at church, they might just skip it next time...

Church or the coffee?

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
I know nothing about the machine or seller; but maybe a low-ball offer will succeed?

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/app/1968392185.html

Caveat emptor!

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
The Bezzera looks like the perfect steamer / frother. No question about capability with that thing!
Unfortunately, I don't have $600.00 to drop on one. I could order 8 or so of the Capresso FrothXpress Milk Frothers for less than the Bezzera and probably outstrip its production capacity at the same time! The best part is that the capresso looks like it could be idiot proof as well. To find out, I've just ordered one of them from Whole Latte Love. When it comes in I'll personally put it to the test and see just how idiot proof it is... and whether a bevvy of 3 of them could keep up with our market business for the next six weeks.

Pete

After I saw the quickmill I decided to just send the Capresso froth express's straight back to where they came from, unopened and new in the box. Those were shipped back today. The quickmill is due in tomorrow. We've committed to serving latte's at the market starting this Saturday so it has to work. I'm not sure what the best / easiest method is going to be to make decent lattes (given market conditions) though.

Here's the issue:
At the market, I have to keep the milk cold prior to steaming... but I have no real espresso at the market (and no way to make it), which is typically hot or at least warm when the steamed milk is introduced. So the way I imagine it, I think I have two options to test:
1. pre mix cold brewed coffee concentrate with the milk at whatever the right ratio is (I think it's going to be 1 to 1) for proper taste and attempt to steam them together into the cup ... if that does not produce a decent beverage....
2. keep a Cambro of hot coffee concentrate that will be poured into the cup before I add the froo-froo pumpkin spice syrup and then steamed milk from a frothing pitcher

I'm going to attempt both methods and see which produces the best result. Hopefully, the quickmill will arrive in time for me to play with it tomorrow!
Any experience or ideas here would be most appreciated!

Pete
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »
I like option 2.  If you can cold brew some concentrate, heat it and keep it hot, then add the syrup and microfoam  ;D  you should be golden.

Tex

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »

Pete

After I saw the quickmill I decided to just send the Capresso froth express's straight back to where they came from, unopened and new in the box. Those were shipped back today. The quickmill is due in tomorrow. We've committed to serving latte's at the market starting this Saturday so it has to work. I'm not sure what the best / easiest method is going to be to make decent lattes (given market conditions) though.

Here's the issue:
At the market, I have to keep the milk cold prior to steaming... but I have no real espresso at the market (and no way to make it), which is typically hot or at least warm when the steamed milk is introduced. So the way I imagine it, I think I have two options to test:
1. pre mix cold brewed coffee concentrate with the milk at whatever the right ratio is (I think it's going to be 1 to 1) for proper taste and attempt to steam them together into the cup ... if that does not produce a decent beverage....
2. keep a Cambro of hot coffee concentrate that will be poured into the cup before I add the froo-froo pumpkin spice syrup and then steamed milk from a frothing pitcher

I'm going to attempt both methods and see which produces the best result. Hopefully, the quickmill will arrive in time for me to play with it tomorrow!
Any experience or ideas here would be most appreciated!

Pete

Maybe you could use something besides cappuccino and latte on your signage? Wouldn't want anyone to accuse you of misleading advertising, would we?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
Maybe you could use something besides cappuccino and latte on your signage? Wouldn't want anyone to accuse you of misleading advertising, would we?

Hot Pumpkin Frou-Frou - $3.50/12oz.