Author Topic: How do they power espresso carts?  (Read 3543 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
How do they power espresso carts?
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
With commercial machines, grinder(s), and maybe blenders or whatever...

How do they make the power work?

It's not like you can plug in an extension chord for all that gear and a loud generator does not sound like a good idea.

How do they do it?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

Re: How do they power espresso carts?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:59:10 AM »
With commercial machines, grinder(s), and maybe blenders or whatever...

How do they make the power work?

It's not like you can plug in an extension chord for all that gear and a loud generator does not sound like a good idea.

How do they do it?

You wouldn't believe me if I told you!

Hint

Tex

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »
Only two options; locate near an electric outlet, or use a generator (some are pretty quiet).

Some folks use lever machines with a gas-fired boiler heaters, but they'd still need electricity for the grinder (unless they're absolutely nuts, in which case a manual grinder might work?).

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
Only two options; locate near an electric outlet, or use a generator (some are pretty quiet).

Can you plug a La Marzocco into a 25' 110 extension chord?   :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »

Can you plug a La Marzocco into a 25' 110 extension chord?   :-\

It's all about cord length, voltage, amps, and wire gauge. A 12 gauge extension cord will handle a 120VAC 15 amp load up to ~50'. Heavy loads like a commercial espresso machine should be kept to shorter extension cords. ALWAYS check the plugs for excessive heat buildup, that's the first warning that you're overloading the circuit (after that it'll be a small but interesting fire telling you to shut it down!).

Does that do it, or would you like a short lesson on Ohm's Law? ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:17:01 PM by Tex »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
Yeah...I'm thinking it's unlikely they can pull up to most plugs and have enough juice/amps to power the cart.

I am officially curious now.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
Yeah...I'm thinking it's unlikely they can pull up to most plugs and have enough juice/amps to power the cart.

I am officially curious now.

I always go to the circuit boxes and check the outlets I'll be using, and look for anything else that'll be in use at the same time. For the ES-1A and Mac Digit machines I needed 120 VAC and minimum 16 amp supply - no smoothie machines or microwaves in use while I'm making espresso. Most commercial 1-group machines need at least 30 amps of 240 volt power; not sure what a LM 2, 3, or 4-group uses?

edited: And it's not just extension cords, you need to take the distance to the circuit breaker into account. If the outlet is 20' from the breaker you'll need to subtract that from the extension cord's maximum length.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:25:24 PM by Tex »

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
I'd bet that most carts are going to require a 220v outlet with something like 30-40amp service. Basically something you could plug your dryer in.

Commercial 2 group machine:  220V @20A
Grinder: 3-5A
Small refrigerator: @3-5A
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »
I'd bet that most carts are going to require a 220v outlet with something like 30-40amp service. Basically something you could plug your dryer in.

I am thinking the same.....

I don't imagine those plugs are available on most street corners.  :icon_scratch:

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
If I wanted to setup a portable coffee cart, I'd probably look at using a generator like the Honda EU3000ISAN. It's small, quiet, runs forever, and is rated at 25 amps of 120 VAC power; plenty for a 1-group like mine, a good grinder, and refrigerator.

edited: And a small set of lights for evening use.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:38:11 PM by Tex »

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »

I am thinking the same.....

I don't imagine those plugs are available on most street corners.  :icon_scratch:
I think that's why they have these dudes called "electricians."  >:D

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
Most carts I've seen take a 4 - wire 220V 30 amp service... The 4th wire is common so you can power 120 v stuff too. 

I do have a propane lever machine which if you can find one you'll only need 120V for your grinder and mini refrigerator.

Or a generator.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
I think that's why they have these dudes called "electricians."  >:D

I thought the idea of the carts was that they are mobile and can set up here and there "on the spot".

If they have to have electricians run power those are going to be much more permanent locations than I imagined.  

Lee Morrison

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
I think that's pretty much the case. You gotta rent your patch of parking lot and negotiate the power supply pretty much where ever you go. I had a friend that ran an espresso truck business that he would take to public events and such and he would always have to get a contract to operate anywhere. He had a hefty RV type electrical cord that he would use if 220V power was available... if not it was setup like a motor-home with batteries, big alternator, Onan gen-set.

Stubbie

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
I am in the process of starting a mobile truck selling espresso and cupcakes...

I bought one of these which I hope was a little overkill.

My La Marzocco Linea AV/2 runs 220v @ 22A.

It's a little bit loud, but is mounted on the road side of the truck.

-Stubbie