Author Topic: Have you mastered the espresso machine variables?  (Read 9234 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: Have you mastered the machine variables?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
YasBean has a good post; he adjusts his machine based on taste and only keeps the setting if the taste improves.

Actually Peter, what I read was that he chose a higher group pressure (~11 bar static/10 bar dynamic) than CW advises and leaves it set at that, adjusting his grind and tamp to achieve ~10.6 bar.

What he does vary is the brew temp, the same thing I advise at the end of my post.

So YasBean has mastered the group pressure and temp variables, at least to his satisfaction.

Well, l would not say that I have mastered anything.  I am almost constantly fiddling with grind time and temp.  (l have gone back to timing grinds on my Vario.)  I first got to thinking, is relying on the OPV to control pressure cheating? l have gotten pretty good at hitting the pressure without the OPV. :P
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
YasBean has a good post; he adjusts his machine based on taste and only keeps the setting if the taste improves.

Actually Peter, what I read was that he chose a higher group pressure (~11 bar static/10 bar dynamic) than CW advises and leaves it set at that, adjusting his grind and tamp to achieve ~10.6 bar.

What he does vary is the brew temp, the same thing I advise at the end of my post.

So YasBean has mastered the group pressure and temp variables, at least to his satisfaction.

Well, l would not say that I have mastered anything.  I am almost constantly fiddling with grind time and temp.  (l have gone back to timing grinds on my Vario.)  I first got to thinking, is relying on the OPV to control pressure cheating? l have gotten pretty good at hitting the pressure without the OPV. :P

Is the man from MI trying to hijack the thread here?   ;D

Funny... I didn't see you post in the what beer are you drinking thread...   ;D

I might just have to use that line.  May I?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »
I might just have to use that line.  May I?

If you find a spot for it...
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »

The way it was explained to me is that first you tune the machine to 9 bar, and then you adjust the grind to the tuned machine.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
That is how I had always learned it, but then my VBM came tuned to 11.4 indicated.  Now, indicated is not actual, but I wrote to ask why it was so high (they say indicated is usually apx. 1 bar over actual), and the answer was, "That is how we like it here in Italy," or something to that effect.  Well, I tried tuning it to 9 bar act., but did not like the results.  I like the results I get now.  I have now accepted:  Numbers are for general reference; taste is the ultimate standard.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
And since you might be covering cell phones and scales, could you also cover how to do free cell phone calls using a variety of software and hardware solutions, I think Jeffo might buy the DVD if you make that happen.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »
And since you might be covering cell phones and scales, could you also cover how to do free cell phone calls using a variety of software and hardware solutions, I think Jeffo might buy the DVD if you make that happen.

That would be interesting.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »
I'm going to let you guys chase down temp stable fish while I work on something else....

I'm developing a one day seminar that will be available on DVD or instant download.

Total domination of weighing.

This master class will have you weighing out grams of coffee so artfully that even Pharmacists  will be impressed.

You will learn.

.Expert tare usage....
.Virtuoso portafilter placement for amazing accuracy...
.Perfect on/off operation every single time.

Be the master of battery replacement, gram/oz toggling, counter space placement for optimized speed, and MORE!!!!

This is the class you have been waiting for to bring your scale work to a world class level.

You know you want it..... get some!

I am very interested in this program.  Please fax me the details. My current method for weighing consists of sending a handful of beans in an envelope to myself.  I place a 44 cent stamp on the envelope.  If it arrives postage due I remove a bean and send it again.  I now have in my freezer seven envelopes containing a USPS certified ounce of beans. My current project finds me in the process of dialing in an eighth envelope.

Try it - it works!

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
Totally funny!

ecc

Re: A gang of jackasses teach how to hijack a thread.
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:39 PM »
Thread title change is pretty funny, a suspicious person might think you guys were set up.

milowebailey

Re: A gang of jackasses teach how to hijack a thread.
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
Who was the wise guy who set poor Tex up?  You should be ashamed.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Mister sensitive has a hard time when hanging out with the boyz
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
Deep thoughts....

Are we sure there was a hijack?

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:15 PM »
I'm surprised Jeffo hasn't jumped on the boyz typo. ;-)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Deep thoughts....

Are we sure there was a hijack?

Was it a hijack or par for the GCBC course?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Pyment

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
Someone needs