Author Topic: Laurentis Espresso Machine won't pump water  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
Laurentis Espresso Machine won't pump water
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
Howdy Folks,

I've had my espresso machine off for about a month.Today we replaced the group head gasket and turned it back on and the dang thing won't pump water.Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?
Thanks,
Joe :(
Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

crholliday

Re: Laurentis Espresso Machine won't pump water
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »
Could be a lot of things. Does the motor come on? Is the pump spinning? Any visible signs of scale?

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
There is scale !! I wouldn't know if motor is spinning or where the pump is.
Thanks,
Joe
Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
It does build up pressure and when you flip the switch it sounds like it wants to pump but zip city!!
Joe

Tex

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
There is scale !! I wouldn't know if motor is spinning or where the pump is.
Thanks,
Joe

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know where the pump is, put down your tools, unplug the machine, and call in a technician. Poking around in a commercial espresso machine is no place for a noob.

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
Come on Tex if pointed in the right direction I'm pretty handy.I used to have a file with a parts list etc.,but can't find it.
Joe

crholliday

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
There are two gauges. One is boiler pressure and the other is line pressure. The lower one is boiler pressure it should be between 1 and 2. The higher one is brew pressure and should be between 2 and 12. For the purposes of this exercise you only care about the brew pressure gauge. When the power is turned on but the brew switch is not activated, what does the brew gauge read? Then when you turn on the brew switch what does it read?

crholliday

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »
If the brew gauge increases when you turn on the brew switch, you can probably get it going by cleaning out the group inlet screen filter which is marked as item AS.49 on this diagram:

http://specialtyrestaurantequipment.com/Diagrams/astoria2.gif

You will have to remove bolt AS.47 to get to it. To get to that bolt, you have to remove the tray on top of your machine that is closest to the front of the machine (it has two screws - one on each side of the tray). You can then look down and see the group and you will see that bolt. Let your machine cool down all the way before you start to unscrew it and then take it out and remove that screen. Inside is the brew water brew path and the condition of those tubes and pipes will give you an indication of scale in the rest of your machine. If there is a consistent amount of deposits, you should probably just unplug everything and have it descaled. If not, then just clean up that screen and look for any other obstructions.

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Its @ 2 and goes to 10

crholliday

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »
Its @ 2 and goes to 10

See my above post.

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »
Thanks CR !!!!!   Very good info and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Joe

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
I had a friend with a Brasila that one side hadn't been used in several months... same thing, no water out the group.  What I did was remove the screw that crholiday recommended, pulled out the screen and put about a teaspoon of citric acid in the hole.  Soak the screen in Citric acid then put the screw back in.  Turn the machine on and run the pump.  Let the machine sit for a few hours (even overnight) and the run the pump.  It took two doses of citric acid and then good as new.  You might also want to remove the group screen and soak it in citric acid too while you are waiting.

You can get citric acid at any beer or wine making store, or at most commercial restaurant supply stores.

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
Thanks for the help I've got water coming out now but a new problem with the pressure relief valve.Water spewing out of the top of it.So I have it off and soaking hopefully just some mineral deposits.
Larry I put on a new screen filter on it with a new group head gaskit.I'll have to pick some citric acid.
Thanks again for all the help you guys are the best.
Joe

Tex

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the help I've got water coming out now but a new problem with the pressure relief valve.Water spewing out of the top of it.So I have it off and soaking hopefully just some mineral deposits.
Larry I put on a new screen filter on it with a new group head gaskit.I'll have to pick some citric acid.
Thanks again for all the help you guys are the best.
Joe

Check the lead at the auto-refill probe. Corrosion builds up there and the circuit never thinks the boiler is full, so it keeps pumping.

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
Thanks Tex will do !!!!!!