Author Topic: My new espresso machine doesn't fit :(  (Read 2471 times)

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
My new espresso machine doesn't fit :(
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »
I scored a used Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 (it looks to be the same as the Mac 2000) single group espresso machine last night for $180. Just one little problem: it doesn't fit under the cabinets on my kitchen counter as it's a couple of inches too tall. When I went to look at it I was afraid that might be the case but I bought it anyway because the price was too tempting. Sigh.

Eying my powertools here in the PNW.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:58:43 AM by grinderz »
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Re: My new espresso machine doesn't fit :(
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »
I think that calls for an espresso shrine on a nice piece of furniture in another room... or you could always up it in your den, workshop, or garage if it's not fancy enough for a shrine.
'cept I've got a shortage of those in my small house.

I'm seriously considering taking down one kitchen cupboard (the one above the dishwasher) and taking a few inches off the bottom of it. That would be contingent on me going through this thing a making sure it's going to run all right. Or maybe I'll build a mobile espresso trailer...  :icon_scratch:

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:51:34 AM »
I'd offer to take it off your hands, but if I bring one more espresso machine home, me and the machine will be relocated to the "roasting house"

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »
Dilemmas ... dilemmas ...

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
Bought any cell phones recently, Larry?  ;)

Tex

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
NS Mac Digit foreground, Bunn ES-1A (frame with no side panels) background. Look closely & you'll see the Bunn is ~4 inches shorter.

If it was me I'd sell the NS and get something that'd fit under the cabinets, just in case you decide to get another machine somewhere down the line. I say this because the 7 liter boiler takes a while to heat up and the group temp is very unstable in the NS line.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
Good insight Mr. Harmon!

;)
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »
Good insight Mr. Harmon!

;)

I went back & forth between keeping the NS Mac Digit or Bunn ES-1A. Both pulled great shots & both produced great steam. The deciding factors were the E61-type group with thermo-siphon on the Bunn, the Bunn being quicker to temp stability, and the Bunn's smaller footprint.

Either made a great home espresso machine, but the Bunn was superior by a nose.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
Good insight Mr. Harmon!

;)

I went back & forth between keeping the NS Mac Digit or Bunn ES-1A. Both pulled great shots & both produced great steam. The deciding factors were the E61-type group with thermo-siphon on the Bunn, the Bunn being quicker to temp stability, and the Bunn's smaller footprint.

Hence began the era of used Bunn ES-1A machines for home purposes ... thanks to Robert's efforts.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »
Good insight Mr. Harmon!

;)

Hence began the era of used Bunn ES-1A machines for home purposes ... thanks to Robert's efforts.

It should only have been marketed as a home machine. A boiler of less than 4 liters is too small for any real commercial use. And I wasn't the first to see its potential in the home, but I was the most vocal!

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
Good insight Mr. Harmon!

;)

It should only have been marketed as a home machine. A boiler of less than 4 liters is too small for any real commercial use. And I wasn't the first to see its potential in the home, but I was the most vocal!

Yes sir!

You also were quick to launch an Bunn ES-1A user group.

:notworthy:
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
I just thought of the next Discovery Reality series.....

Take a commercial espresso machine and pimp it....... take Grinderz mis-fit Nouva and modify it so it fits under the counter..or maybe better in the wall...... but that's not all..... put a PID in it..... split the boiler (now dual boiler) and make it a show-piece Chrome, gold plate.... you get the idea..... what should we call the new series  Caffeined?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 08:26:28 PM »

Take a commercial espresso machine and pimp it....... take Grinderz mis-fit Nouva and modify it so it fits under the counter..or maybe better in the wall...... but that's not all..... put a PID in it..... split the boiler (now dual boiler) and make it a show-piece Chrome, gold plate.... you get the idea..... what should we call the new series  Caffeined?

The real question-- could we get Chip Foose?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

The real question-- could we get Chip Foose?

Maybe get OCC to drop a knuckle head in it?

We discussed something similar on BUG; removing the pump to below the counter and converting the current boiler to steam only and adding a brew boiler where the pump was. It would involve removing the HX and reworking the plumbing a bit, but it would be fairly easy.

Let's see; if you put the steam boiler & pump below the counter that's leave just the brew boiler & group. I wonder if they could be hidden/camouflaged to look like a pub beer lever? ???

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
Sheesh! And I thought I was going overboard contemplating a little cabinetry work.