Author Topic: New Coffee Bar  (Read 3015 times)

Ray T

New Coffee Bar
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
Whole house remodel begins this week. Windows, cabinets, ect. My awesome wife has included a 7 ' coffee bar for me. I will have the walls opened up so it will be easy to run all the power, plumbing ect.  I plan on a machine like Peter's so I was planning to run a 20A for it, plus 2-3 more 110 outlets.

Any other Idea's thought's I might want to include ?    Here's the first drawing

Ray T

Re: New Coffee Bar
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:07 PM »
She has picked out Granite from Brazil with a glass tiled back splash called espresso

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
You'll want some sort of sink there, if at all possible.

If you're hanging three separate upper cabinets, I'd suggest a shorter one in the middle to give you enough height for your new Compak K10.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:13:17 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Ray T

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »
You'll want some sort of sink there, if at all possible.

I picked up a 15" stainless bar sink I will put in the left side, Espresso machine on the right.

She was thinking a knock hole for grounds but I am concerned about protecting the granite from breaking 

Tex

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
Whole house remodel begins this week. Windows, cabinets, ect. My awesome wife has included a 7 ' coffee bar for me. I will have the walls opened up so it will be easy to run all the power, plumbing ect.  I plan on a machine like Peter's so I was planning to run a 20A for it, plus 2-3 more 110 outlets.

Any other Idea's thought's I might want to include ?    Here's the first drawing

Because I knew I'd eventually end up with a big lever machine I decided not to put up overhead cabinets. IMO, unless you really need the storage the upper cabinets subtract from the beauty of a nice espresso machine. But, the extra storage would be nice!

GC7

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »
An electrical outlet inside one of the bottom cabinets will allow you to store a small dedicated shop-vac.  It makes it very handy to clean up the counter top and throat of your grinder as well.

Tex

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
An electrical outlet inside one of the bottom cabinets will allow you to store a small dedicated shop-vac.  It makes it very handy to clean up the counter top and throat of your grinder as well.

I went a step further and had the primary 20 amp receptacle put underneath and had a hole cut in the countertop. This lets me route all the plumbing and wires to an unseen location - very tidy!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:41 PM »
You could actually get a small commercial Knock box and then dump the grinds into a waste basket.

This would not take up much space and would be tidy to take care of.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »
You could actually get a small commercial Knock box and then dump the grinds into a waste basket.

And you're not stuck with it being in just one location.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »

This is the knock-box I have, and would work well to be cut into the counter without requiring you to customize your drawer.  But it works well sitting on the counter too, which is how I use it.  I just didn't want another hole in my granite because who knows how I'll use that space down the road.  It'll hold a lot of pucks, and what sold me is that the rubber for the rim as well as the knock rod are replaceable through Rattleware.

http://tinyurl.com/65jf33b

There's another real cool accessory that I saw, but can't remember which espresso supply site had it.  It was a small SS sink with a built in glass rinser, which would activate when you pushed a glass onto the spout.  I thought that would be great for glasses, but especially for the PF and frothing pitcher.

EDIT: here's what I was thinking of...  If only my coffee bar had room, I would use this as the sink and mount a small bar faucet right next to it.

http://tinyurl.com/42chr3t
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:14:22 PM by peter »

Tex

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »

This is the knock-box I have, and would work well to be cut into the counter without requiring you to customize your drawer.  But it works well sitting on the counter too, which is how I use it.  I just didn't want another hole in my granite because who knows how I'll use that space down the road.  It'll hold a lot of pucks, and what sold me is that the rubber for the rim as well as the knock rod are replaceable through Rattleware.

http://tinyurl.com/65jf33b

There's another real cool accessory that I saw, but can't remember which espresso supply site had it.  It was a small SS sink with a built in glass rinser, which would activate when you pushed a glass onto the spout.  I thought that would be great for glasses, but especially for the PF and frothing pitcher.

EDIT: here's what I was thinking of...  If only my coffee bar had room, I would use this as the sink and mount a small bar faucet right next to it.

http://tinyurl.com/42chr3t

aka bidet? ;D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »
Yes, a pitcher bidet.   :)

Ray T

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
Great Idea's notes taken, Thanks to all.  This will be on going for about a month( think this old house built in 1938) I hope is all . What a way to burn vacation time But it will be worth it when it's done or the money runs out  ;D

Will post progress.  Now back to packing. 1 more truck load to the storage  then dinner I hope

Thanks again

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »
Unless you have had it redone in recent years, the electrical is totally out of code.  Finding a breaker to fit in that old panel might be a problem and using the old wire would be asking for a fire.  The electrician will probably try to skimp and use 12 gauge wire.  DO yourself a favor, spend the extra few bucks and run 10 gauge as a minimum.  NOT having the big voltage drop when your big heaters kick in will go a long way towards you controlling the heat / process better.

Just some thoughts.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Unless you have had it redone in recent years, the electrical is totally out of code.  Finding a breaker to fit in that old panel might be a problem and using the old wire would be asking for a fire.  The electrician will probably try to skimp and use 12 gauge wire.  DO yourself a favor, spend the extra few bucks and run 10 gauge as a minimum.  NOT having the big voltage drop when your big heaters kick in will go a long way towards you controlling the heat / process better.

Just some thoughts.

Aaron

Doesn't that also depend on the length of the run?