Author Topic: Taiwan Shop Grinder  (Read 3344 times)

EricBNC

Re: Taiwan Shop Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »
I would think that this would be reported a lot if it happened often on the K30 or K60 or other Mahlkönig grinders.  I read things like "The grinder gets too hot on a busy afternoon after only 2.5kg" or "I ran the K10 for 30 min and log 36 C, The K30 logs 40 C". 

These are being used in some demanding environments by people who would make noise given any opportunity to do so - they are silent on the warping issue.

Side note: 2.5 Kg would be a busy month for me.

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
Back up the bus.  This is the second time I have seen burrs with braille like projections.  What are those burrs?  Why the unusual design?  Who has used them?  Comparison with the slant machined ones with which I am familiar.  Thx.

What does it even matter if they are just going to end up warped?

I wasn't clear.  I was referring to this burr that they offer.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:48:10 AM by BoldJava »

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »
They call them "crushing burrs" in Taiwan. Grindmaster uses them on their bulk 800 series grinders. My guess is the slicing burrs used by bunn, Ditting, and Mahlkonig are better.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
They call them "crushing burrs" in Taiwan. Grindmaster uses them on their bulk 800 series grinders. My guess is the slicing burrs used by bunn, Ditting, and Mahlkonig are better.

My guess is for most preps other than espresso the crushing burrs are fine.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
Any idea on how much their 1kg CR-101 roaster is going for?

BoldJava

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 08:24:49 PM »

I have blown entirely too much time reading about crushing burrs, slicing burrs, Marco Uber grinder project, etc. this evening.  Who started this?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »

I have blown entirely too much time reading about crushing burrs, slicing burrs, Marco Uber grinder project, etc. this evening.  Who started this?

Some goat-herdin' dude named Aldi.

EricBNC

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 02:05:50 AM »
I am not convinced these burrs only crush - the edges look sharp on the nubs. 

A Vario with ceramic gears is not knife edge sharp but the quality of the grind is considered more than adequate by people who compare them to other espresso grinders. These burrs may not be designed for espresso but crushing implies unevenness of particle size - I suspect these burrs are precise - just in a different way.

Maybe the nubs are designed to reduce friction and heat by limiting contact time with the bean particles - blades cut from their inside edge to the outside edge which maximizes contact time and increases friction.  The staggered gaps on the inside surface of the burrs in my photo might be there by design to limit the time spent with bean to edge contact too similar to this "crushing burr" design.

BoldJava

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 04:52:14 AM »
I am not convinced these burrs only crush - the edges look sharp on the nubs. 

Eric, interesting article bumped into last night on crushing burr vs cutting burr.  The background is the development of the Marco Grinder (of the Uber project).  They were trying to figure out what burr would be best for non-espresso preps.

http://marco.ie/uberproject/?p=401

Before reading it, wasn't aware of the Uber Grinder, though I had seen the Uber boiler on the boards and in a shop in the Twin Cities.  Same outfit.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:07:02 AM by BoldJava »

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 05:29:56 AM »
I have a grindmaster 100 and it has burrs like these.   The instruction book says change the burrs every 30,000 pounds.  I think that my be the advantage.  I bought the grinder very used but do not think I will need burrs soon.  It seems to grind well for drip.
Ringo
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

EricBNC

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 05:13:48 AM »
I have a grindmaster 100 and it has burrs like these.   The instruction book says change the burrs every 30,000 pounds.  I think that my be the advantage.  I bought the grinder very used but do not think I will need burrs soon.  It seems to grind well for drip.
Ringo
Till I see the clay tablets I don't believe it - 30,000 pounds? what is that - 3,000 years? Are the great pyramids of Egypt Espresso burrs of the Gods?  These are for certain gonna warp in 3,000 years - space/time continuum dictates all matter will warp eventually...

Not to pick on Tex - he knows more about the mysteries than I ever will - if he mentions warping, I will listen with an open mind - but I need more information - please. :)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
I think the industry standard for burr warping is being able to withstand 10 solar flares at a minimum.

Currently the leading manufacturers are moving away from built-in solar flare resistance preferring instead to sink research dollars into magnetic pole flux capacitors, enabling the burrs to resist subtle positional drifting of the magnetic pole which has been proven to affect grind clumping.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
I think the industry standard for burr warping is being able to withstand 10 solar flares at a minimum.

Currently the leading manufacturers are moving away from built-in solar flare resistance preferring instead to sink research dollars into magnetic pole flux capacitors, enabling the burrs to resist subtle positional drifting of the magnetic pole which has been proven to affect grind clumping.

Wow.  We, as a Club, don't know how fortunate we are to have members who have been into coffee for so long and have this sort of knowledge base.  Just wow.

Maybe that explains the pyramidal shape of those burr bumps, like they never get dull because of the pyramid power.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »

Wow.  We, as a Club, don't know how fortunate we are to have members who have been into coffee for so long and have this sort of knowledge base.  Just wow.

Maybe that explains the pyramidal shape of those burr bumps, like they never get dull because of the pyramid power.

I think you are onto something there Peter.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »
I think it's important to never forget the power of group wisdom. Perhaps we could all get to work on a really, really, really... really, really flat surface in order to test the flux capacitors abilities.