Author Topic: Hot top failure  (Read 2469 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Hot top failure
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »
I'm watching out my window right now wondering if my HT is going to catch fire. 

I just did a normal roast and then at the end when I hit eject nothing happened. The roast got to a ROARING 2nd crack and I tried everything I could think of but no dice...no eject.

Smoke has been billowing out of the HT for an alarming amount of time and I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop it or if it's gonna flash up in a second.

This sucks....sucks sucks sucks.

Anybody ever have HT failure to eject?

Just wondering if I get out of this with no fire what I'm going to need to do to fix this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:26:34 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Re: Hot top falure
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
Bogus! I assume you pulled the plug when it wouldn't eject?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
Wow, that sucks.   I've never had an issue with the HT... odd the eject button didn't work.

I assume you just unplugged it... I had that happen once with my milowewidget attached... had a J type thermocouple and the software thinking it was a K type..... the thermo-fuse finally blew.  You may have that blown now. 

Shoot hottop USA a note.  I suspect they will make it right.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
Kind of amusing, I just nuked a roast in my behmore,  all my fault, got distracted and let it go on for about 4 minutes past what I should have.  When I remembered it an hour later, I had an odd error message on the behmore.

given you seen your's go bad, you didn't pull the plug?  My first reaction was always 1. curse  2. cut power 3. get it to  safe location to cook off.

let us know how it played out.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

RobertL

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
Now we know why Hottop decided to put the manual eject button on newer models! It could have been worse at least it start an all out fire.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
That stinks! What model do you have? I have a digital model that is as smooth as butter. As it seems everything else I have is for sale at the moment, I see no reason why I could not also sell it. If there is any interest email me. Sorry to hear about yours!

The model before the current auto ejected when you pulled the chaff collecting drawer out. I am not sure if that would still work it the eject button failed.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »
I pulled the plug right away.

I tried plugging it back in to force a cooling/eject cycle.

I tried pulling the chaff tray..I tried everyting.....the now cool beans are still in there cuz there was no eject by any method I tried.  :-\

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Re: Hot top failure
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
Sounds like you've got the disassembly ejection blues.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:27:14 PM by John F »
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
Sounds like you've got the disassembly ejection blues.

I just sent an email to HT.

Not sure if I should wait to hear from them or start taking it apart.

I'm so sad right now.

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
There is an electric powered magnetic rod that manages the ejection process and I am willing to be your problem has something to do with it. Because of the picture size restrictions I cannot post a larger picture, but I circled the portion of the rod that can be seen in red.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »
Looking at the website it looks like maybe the ejection door is just jammed or maybe its a bad solenoid.

I'm taking it apart in the am to see what I can see.

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
It is pretty easy, just take pictures :) .

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »
Two things:

- It might also be the button on the control board. I had the same problem with one of my boards, pushing the button wasn't ejecting anything and 'it felt' like the button had a different feel to it than the other buttons. This no-eject scenario happened to me a handful of times and I think it's because the eject button saw a lot of use it eventually just wore the board contact mechanism out. I got a new replacement board from Hottop and all was good again.

- If that no-eject ever happens again, grab a glove and quickly unscrew the gold knob holding the glass window front piece in place and manually shake all the beans out into a colander or whatever you have available. I managed to save a couple of roasts that way.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 02:57:36 AM »
That not only sucks its kind of dangerous.  not having a way to eject the beans and having them 'stuck' in there to cook off is just asking for a fire.   Maybe hot top needs a bit of a redesign.
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 06:04:58 AM »
That not only sucks its kind of dangerous.  not having a way to eject the beans and having them 'stuck' in there to cook off is just asking for a fire.   Maybe hot top needs a bit of a redesign.

Actually, in the roaster is exactly where you wanted to keep them at that point. Lack of oxygen might've been the only thing keeping the beans from bursting into flames. Read what Tom says about it: https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast