Author Topic: Espresso Equipment Help  (Read 3202 times)

smico

Re: Espresso Equipment Help
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
Additional portafilter is probably 70$, so this is real steal.  You can cut it and get naked portafilter.

smico

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
Eric,

Baratza Precisio is cheaper, and espresso capable grinder, with results similar to Vario.
One thing that bothers me about Precisio though, is that you can’t do much of the distribution during the grinding due to limited space.  With Vario I can easily distribute coffee in nice layers during the grinding, then just even out with finger, tamp and off it goes - perfect shot with Brewtus.

I can not be big help with espresso machines as Brewtus was my first and only machine.  But you are in good hands here.

Regards,

Miroslav

BozemanEric

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Crossland CC1.

EricBNC

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Crossland CC1.

I had the chance to play with one for a month. The features like programmable pre-infusion and PID are nice at this price level. The shot is decent from this machine too. The pump had worked loose in shipping, but to be fair, this unit shipped several times between reviewers before landing at my door. A ship from the vendor to you might be issue free. The poly tube going from the pump to the OPV was partially cut. I discovered this during a tear down (if you can call removing the cup warming tray a tear down) to see what was inside for some photos - the average user would likely not but probably should before pulling that first shot. It was a 5 minute fix so not a big deal to me.

The water tank is a bit tricky to remove due to the small form factor and the location of the 3 way valve's drain pipe but isn't too bad once you learn the turns required - then you expose a corner and fill with a kettle, never fully removing the tank for the most streamlined results. The machine takes longer to get the portafilter and bottom of the group scalding hot than I prefer, around 45 minutes if memory serves, but the machine says it is ready long before this time.

Properly heated, the machine can pull decent, easily repeatable shots with a quick recovery time. The Crossland's thermoblock will steam milk exceptionally well for this class - equal to a Rancilio Silvia but with less wait between steaming and pulling shots.  $699 is pushing the upper limit of entry level, but it is offering a unique feature set for the price.

smico

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 05:22:27 AM »
I see that you are going up with the choices.  I had the same "problem" three years ago, and ended up buying cheapest double boiler - Brewtus.  I did not know about GCBC a the time though.

If you are looking for HX, friend of mine bought Bezzera BZ-07 and he is happy with it.  It has small heater in modified light something-like E-61 group.  We will adjust pressure to 10 bars when I get there.
On top of everything, BZ-07 is beauty on the kitchen countertop, and your significant one will be very happy with the look.

BozemanEric

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08:26 AM »
I see that you are going up with the choices.

I keep raising my price point because I would love something that will work, at least, good out of the box. It my busy season at work and I would prefer something I do not have to tinker with immediately. I was drawn to the factory installed PID.

Tex

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 09:58:40 AM »
My hesitation in recommending the CC1 is that it's new & has single-source parts, meaning it's going to be expensive (or impossible if the company goes belly up) to repair somewhere down the road.

There's also a short track record, so its reliability can't be accurately predicted at this time. If you're a risk taker, it may be a good machine for you?

EricBNC

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
The build quality on my QuickMill Silvano is better, and honestly, after a month of trying with an arsenal of grinders, the Crossland never matched the Silvano's shots. It can pull better shots than my Gaggia Coffee, and my friend's Gaggia Classic though when using the same grinder(s) and beans.

One year in I can honestly recommend with zero reservations the QuickMill Silvano. Buy it and a Pharos and the only upgrade that will make sense is a Strada and Robur - seriously, that combo will make a better shot - sometimes...

Tex

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
The build quality on my QuickMill Silvano is better, and honestly, after a month of trying with an arsenal of grinders, the Crossland never matched the Silvano's shots. It can pull better shots than my Gaggia Coffee, and my friend's Gaggia Classic though when using the same grinder(s) and beans.

One year in I can honestly recommend with zero reservations the QuickMill Silvano. Buy it and a Pharos and the only upgrade that will make sense is a Strada and Robur - seriously, that combo will make a better shot - sometimes...

Neither machine has been around long enough to establish their reliability credentials, and both use proprietary and single-source parts.

If you're OK buying first versions of new designs, more power to you; I'd buy a more established brand & model.

EricBNC

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
Guess I should buy a Gaggia and add a proprietary PID to it then? Your post makes zero sense.

BozemanEric

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
I do have to admit that I really like the Silvano, all the features, and Chris Coffee is offering a extended warranty free of charge. I must also admit that I have been burnt by products in their infancy. I am planning on getting a Brazen in August and am not sure I we want two machines without a track record in the household. I have some thinking to do. I really do like the Silvano.

EricBNC

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »
The Silvano is "new" compared to something like the Gaggia (have one, no hate) but the Silvano has been on the market for more than a couple years now with parts that have been assembled with other parts in other machines for a much longer stretch of production time. Nothing is brand new under the beautiful and shiny skin with this one.

I researched European forums before committing to this machine - very little issues are reported with the various components Chris Coffee (US importer) selected to create the whole machine. Buy this one and suffer with average by HX standards steaming , or step up to the table and buy  a Vivaldi and never upgrade if maximum milk is something you need. One is cheaper than the other but both are worth every penny IMHO.

Tex

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
Guess I should buy a Gaggia and add a proprietary PID to it then? Your post makes zero sense.

You think I'm arguing with you Eric? I just don't like machines with single-source parts supplies - they get very expensive.

EricBNC

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
Your "neither has been around long enough" (how long is enough exactly?) is worth clarifying.

As proprietary parts go, yes, you can not buy a Gaggia boiler from QuickMill, but the Ukla pump looks similar...

Tex

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
 :-X