Author Topic: Douwe Egberts - New Auto Drip Coffee Maker!  (Read 4474 times)

EricBNC

Douwe Egberts - New Auto Drip Coffee Maker!
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
I purchased a new Douwe Egberts by Technivorm combi-8 one liter coffee maker recently - I was concerned since the instructions are in Dutch and the bottom sticker reads 220v in hard stamp and 1460 watts on a handwritten sticker covering another number, but the plug is 110v and it works like it should.  Does anyone know about these machines - engineering sample maybe?

milowebailey

Re: Douwe Egberts - New Auto Drip Coffee Maker!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
That looks like a rebranded Technivorm Moccamaster

EricBNC

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »
It is labeled as a Technivorm just below the warming plate - both are Dutch businesses, maybe they were/are considering a way to lock in a subscription service like Gevalia's program.

EricBNC

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
Here is the power plug and the sticker on the bottom - says it's a Technivorm Type 861 A:

jbviau

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
Let me guess: $10? ;)

Tex

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »
It will take longer for the boiler to get to temp, but it will work OK on 120VAC.

EricBNC

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
It will take longer for the boiler to get to temp, but it will work OK on 120VAC.

It takes 30 seconds from cold start to hot water flowing out of the shower head - how long does it take on a regular Technivorm? ???

Ray T

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »

It takes 30 seconds from cold start to hot water flowing out of the shower head - how long does it take on a regular Technivorm? ???

23 seconds on the pot I just made. Whats the brew Temp? That is the important part.

EricBNC

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »

23 seconds on the pot I just made. Whats the brew Temp? That is the important part.

It might have still been a little warm - I tried it just now and the water started flowing faster than the first time - less than 30 seconds but I did not measure.

I get 199 - 204 F over about a minute of measuring at the pipe outlet - probably more variance from the probe tip moving around (me holding the probe) than the actual temps varying.  Looks like this Douwe Egberts works like a Technivorm is supposed to work.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 07:23:11 PM »
How much is it worth?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
Let me guess: $10? ;)

I wish - I paid more than that.

How much is it worth?

It was worth almost $78 to me...

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
How much is it worth?

It was worth almost $78 to me...

So you only paid $78.00?

lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »

So you only paid $78.00?

Yes, it cost me $78 shipped - seems worth the price to me.  I took the bottom cover off to look at the heating coil - it is similar to the one in the new Bodum auto drip I got to try a while back - functionally the shape and design, but the copper boiler inside this machine is noticeably larger.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »

So you only paid $78.00?

Yes, it cost me $78 shipped - seems worth the price to me.  I took the bottom cover off to look at the heating coil - it is similar to the one in the new Bodum auto drip I got to try a while back - functionally the shape and design, but the copper boiler inside this machine is noticeably larger.

To get the same functionality of the famed Technivorm at a budget price ... that's a steel!

Well done.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:19:02 AM by mp »
lp, 7-Ski

jbviau

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 07:32:51 AM »
To get the same functionality of the famed Technivorm at a budget price ... that's a steal!

^^^ Agreed. I only lowballed Eric before on my price estimate because I thought it might have been another thrift store find. Enjoy!