Author Topic: Grinder to Replace Capresso Infinity maybe  (Read 3884 times)

BozemanEric

Re: Grinder to Replace Capresso Infinity maybe
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
Two votes for 12.
I'm gonna try that....NOW.

Thanks guys.
Oh yeah, I'm guessing that 12G is the Preciso is the same as 12 on the Virtuoso???

Susan

The numbers are the same. The letters are the micro adjustments. It is pretty much the same grinder except the Perciso does micro adjustments between the Virtuoso normal clicks.

SJM

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:09 AM »
Got it.
Now....anyone want a third hand Capresso Infinity for $35 plus shipping???

Susan

Jeffo

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
Got it.
Now....anyone want a third hand Capresso Infinity for $35 plus shipping???

Susan

Does it look like new or is it worn? My wife and a couple of other people want to buy a chiropractor a grinder but I don't suppose it would be good to buy him an obviously used one. Glad you bought a better one that you like.

SJM

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
I think she looks pretty good.
If you want more pix, let me know.
AND if you want me to send her to you, you can pay me IF you want to keep her.
Otherwise she is likely to end up at Goodwill anyway....

(I"m easy....)

Susan

jano

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
So what's the next step up from the virtuoso/preciso for non-espresso coffee that is kitchen friendly (i.e. not those big arse craig's list finds)?  The imports?

BozemanEric

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »
So what's the next step up from the virtuoso/preciso for non-espresso coffee that is kitchen friendly (i.e. not those big arse craig's list finds)?  The imports?

If you stay away from the press pot, I would have to say the Vario. I have a Vario-W I use for my pour overs that I love. I fill it with a days worth of beans and hit 1 for a 10 oz V60, 2 for a 22 oz V60, or 3 for a 8 cup Chemex. I have not heard good things about he Vario for coarse grinds so I have a Perciso as well that I use for all my other coffee needs.

Unless you are a grinder junkie, like myself, I really do not see a reason to upgrade past a Virtusous for coffee alone.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

To be a bit of a contrarian, I'm a fan of the Kitchen Aid Pro Line grinder.

Amazon.com: KitchenAid Pro Line Series Burr Coffee Mill, Onyx Black: Kitchen & Dining

It's excellent for everything from FP down to (but not including) espresso.  Solid, quiet, and tough as nails.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

jano

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
I have the vario-w as well; used to have a virtuoso, but gave that to the maternal unit and regret it, mostly because it's a little irritating going from drip to espresso on my vario (needs to go through about 50g). 

I've seen that proline, often considered it as it is a cheap alternative compared to those imports with "ghost teeth".  I guess the real next step up would be a used commercial unit.. wonder it it takes to pull one apart and put it in a smaller package.

Not really buying now, just noodling around. 

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
I had a Pro-Line for a few years, and agree it's a great grinder for anything coarser than espresso.  I've read that the stock K/A burrs can be replaced w/ some Mazzer burrs with very little modding.  But I don't know how that would work for grinding espresso or turkish.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
I had a Pro-Line for a few years, and agree it's a great grinder for anything coarser than espresso.  I've read that the stock K/A burrs can be replaced w/ some Mazzer burrs with very little modding.  But I don't know how that would work for grinding espresso or turkish.

From my understanding, you'll need to install some shims behind one of the burrs to get the KA down into espresso territory.  I have a Rossi that fills that role, so the KA sits on the kitchen counter happily chugging along (as it's been doing for close to a decade) for drip, pourover, etc.

The Rossi is far, far too loud for use as an early morning grinder with kids in the house; I have to yet to wake anyone with the KA. :)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
I still prefer my trusty old Saeco Titan (rebadged Solis 166) for everything but espresso.

jano

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
I wonder if the KA's burrs can be replaced with burrs from something like a ditting, bunn, or grindmaster?  The intent here is non-espresso (the mazzer burrs would make it do better espresso the way I understands it).  Hmmm.   ???