Author Topic: Popcorn Popper Roasters  (Read 10664 times)

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »
I couldn't find any threads on popcorn popper roasters.  So here we go.  I am looking to get started roasting.  I need something inexpensive with little modifications.

Ray T

Re: Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »
Thrift stores are a good place to start looking.

BozemanEric

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
I noticed I your other post you said you wanted a cheaper alternative to buying roasted coffee:

I must warn you, home roasting may not be the cheaper way to enjoy coffee. It can be a slippery slope. I could buy all my drinks at coffee houses or have beans overnighted from my favorite roaster and I would be money ahead.  I am not trying to deter you from this great hobby/addiction, I am just warning you of the dangers.   For me, though, it has always been about producing the best possible cup.

I am not saying that it can not be done on the cheap. I am just warning you of the alure.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:04:03 PM by BozemanEric »

ecc

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
Have you looked at this one?

Tex

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
Have you looked at this one?

Check out your local Tuesday Morning store - last time I was in the one near my house they had a Westbend Poppery clone for ~$15. For info on using it check out this page.

Here are some pics of how I set mine up using a tin of salmon as a chimney (the fried salmon patties were good).

And as the yakker mentioned, it's a slippery slope you going down. Watch out or upgraditus will hit you, hard!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:37:28 PM by Tex »

BozemanEric

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »
It reminders me a little bit of when I lived in Seattle and did a lot of spear fishing. Friends would come over to our house and say, "It must be great to have a freezer full of free fish, shrimps, and crab." My answer was always the same, "Free, this is the most expensive fish you will ever eat in your lifetime."

That being said, I would buy a popcorn popper, some reasonably priced beans, and go nuts. I got sucked in but I also do not regret it for a minute. 

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:05:08 PM »
I'm copying a post by Eric in that other thread because it bears repeating;

One suggestion I always have it to buy five or ten pounds of the same bean. Try to fight the temptation of roasting a bunch of different beans at first. I learned a lot more roasting the same bean over and over at first. I would also look for an inexpensive, not low quality, bean to start. When I started, I under and over roasted countess batches of Kona and JBM.  You get pretty dejected when you start tossing $20/pound beans. Other than that,I might start with something you are familiar with the taste of and know you like. If you buy from a local roaster they might sell you some of the greens that you usually buy as coffee.

I'd ask the OP if you're dead-set on a popcorn popper?  While not quite as inexpensive, HG/DB (Heat Gun/Dog Bowl) roasting offers lots of advantages over poppers.  I haven't priced heat guns lately, but would think $50 would get you roasting.  My favorite roaster, as most know, is SC/TO (Stir Crazy/Turbo Oven) and even with using all new parts you can come in around $100.  There are many who started w/ poppers, and a few who still love 'em, but I'd wager not many stay with them.  You may do well to simply bypass that, and put the money toward a roasting method you'll most likely stay with longer.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Soapbox

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »
While most start with poppers there are a few who have used their poppers for several years, like myself.  Yea it can be a chore but I love my weekly ritual which supports my daily habit.  Its way cheaper than my harley. 

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
IMHO consider the StirCrazy/TurboOven as a start and finish.  I do save money over store bought prices because I rarely buy the real pricey stuff and I have learned to roast pretty good with what I have..  I would love to swan dive into the deep end and get a real drum roaster however so the "rabbit hole" is real... the reason I suggest the SC/TO is the air popper roasts enough for a pot or two.. with the SC/TO you can cut your roasting down to around 2 batches a week (if you drink as little as me)..

Tex

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »
I began with an air popper, and I still use it when I get a new batch of beans. And I still use my UFO/CO too, because there are beans that just don't do well in my main roaster. But for most of my roasting, I depend on my Sonofresco - it's tough to beat the convenience of it, even given it's inherent flaws.

I second the opinion of learning with just one bean; how else can one learn what roast profiling has to offer? But once you've learned how to hit a stationary target, move over to Sweet Maria's and buy the big sampler. That will open your eyes to the possibilities presented by the beans from the various growing regions. I know that when I got my first sampler, I didn't fully appreciate the differences between a great Central American or a fruit bomb Ethiopian.

Oh, and about the cost? We don't necessarily do this to save money. At least for me, it's all about having truly unique coffee to make my espresso with. Your local roaster may have a few of the world's great coffees to offer, but to make money they buy bags & bags of the same bean - few have the kind of volume that lets them play with the variety of beans we're offered here. So to me it's all about quality, and if I can save a few bucks and still enjoy the world's best, that's even better!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
I'm one of those people who have managed to save money roasting my own beans. I'm with J.J.R., a StirCrazy/TurboOven is the cat's meow.  I also run a heat gun / bread machine, too, if I want a bigger batch.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 06:59:05 AM »
The advantage of starting with the air popper is that you learn a lot about roasting.

It gets you very close to the action and you can see, hear, smell what's going on very easily. You can also get some very nice lively roasts out of it for pour over, vac pot, etc.. I never used it for espresso because the acquisition arc had me in other roasters by then.

It's also great for roasting a small sample.

The death of it is batch size.....if somebody is a one cup a day person it night work but it would take a battery of air poppers to feed my consumption. Way too much work.

All in all I think it's a great way to start.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

craigbooker

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
Okay, so I am convinced.  I ordered stuff for a StirCrazy/TurboOven setup.  Should be here today.  Now I just need some beans!

craigbooker

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
So what type of coffee bean should I start with?  I want to start with one type of bean as suggested.  Something not to pricey.  I like berry flavors.  I use a Aeropress in the inverted method along with a electric kettle for my brewing method.  I have an Encore Baratza grinder - love it!