Author Topic: Behmor temperature modification  (Read 1084 times)

SJM

Behmor temperature modification
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »
Good Morning all.
When I first got the Behmor and asked about ways to monitor the temperatures I got a pretty loud round of raspberries, but I'm gonna broach the issue again.

Has anyone here modified their Behmor so that they have any (internal or external even) way of gauging the temperatures of their beans while the roast is going on?

If so, I am interested in knowing how you have done it.

I did just read a post over at SM where someone was using an external temp  monitor of some sort and I have posted there asking for more information on that one, but somehow it seems like someone here must have done it by now...

Susan 

BozemanEric

Re: Behmor temperature modification
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
I think Yakster figured this out.  I was trying to do it with my Behmor about six months ago. He, I believe, gave me a link to some photos that ran the thermometer under the chaff tray. I tried it a couple times but gave up after melting the tip off a couple of K-types.

I gave up on it quickly because I do better using my intuition than trying to follow an old profile .  I have always done better gauging the beans off smell, smoke, and cracks. The only time I pay close attention to time and temp is that after 1C.  I use certain temp sets, but beyond that I just watch what the bean is doing. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:51:56 AM by BozemanEric »

SJM

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »
Thanks, Eric, and I am clear that the temp isn't necessary to know, but for me the correlation between what I am smelling, hearing and seeing AND the temp feels useful.   

Heck, everyone who roasts with tGenes and HTs describe their roasts by the temperatures....Those of us with Behmors do not have that information to add to what our senses are telling us.  I agree that it might/could/maybe even should be unnecessary, but I also think we should have the information available to us to use.

I probably will never get that on mine, and I probably will get to where I am just as glad I never did, but....I'd like the option, although everything I read says it's hard to accomplish....maybe too hard....

Still...
living in lala land....

Tex

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »
Do you know the diff between BT & ET? How can you measure the bean temp, with a probe in the bean mass, in a drum without an open end? The best you can hope for is an environmental temp of the air temp near the beans; somewhere that won't be disturbed by the rotation of the drum.

SJM

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
Do you know the diff between BT & ET?

Yes, I do.
Obviously what I really want to know is BT.
But I'd be fine with ET from which I can extrapolate.

I'm already used to making this sort of extrapolation since the PID on my Classic is mounted on the nub for the oem thermostat and not inside the actual boiler.

Susan

Ray T

SJM

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »
Rots a Ruck http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/modding-behmor-t8284-10.html

;D ;D ;D
I guess I don't have to read the link to get the idea....
Okay, so my next rabbit hole will be post-roast checking on the weight loss of the beans to see if that will tell me what the roast level is.  Now, this is what I consider to be a bad way to do things, to suss out what you have done after you've done it (instead of before or while) so you can do it differently the next time. 

Susan

Whoa, very cool thread.  I like it.  I like it !!!!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:45:45 PM by SJM »