Author Topic: Popcorn Popper Roasters  (Read 10672 times)

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Re: Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »
Most of those power strips are rated for 1500 watts and you're over that with both of those plugged in together.

What kind of beans and how many ounces of greens did you use? You can mod the stirring wire to get a little better agitation, but most folks have best results with a bit under a pound of greens. 14 ounces seems optimal to me.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

craigbooker

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
What can I do about the power strip?  Are there alternatives?  What do you suggest?

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
I would try not to use any extension cords at all as they will lower the voltage somewhat. If you don't have a two outlets available, I'd use something like this:

The other consideration is that if you have other things running on the same breaker switch circuit, that will lower the juices as well. I once had a roast that was taking way too long to progress, and came inside and found that the wife had plugged a space heater in to an outlet on the same circuit I was roasting on.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
Looks like some kind of stinkin' Sidamo by the looks of it.  Dry-processed beans will be inherently uneven, so they look like they should.

If you haven't put the SC heater on a switch, I'd suggest that.  You don't need that heater 99% of the time, and having a thermostat on both top and bottom can drive you crazy.

I use three different circuits, one each for my two TO's and the third for the two SC's. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
looks like a great first roast... looks like a great roast period.. If you look you will find that same bean dark and then light has uniquely different tastes.. then mix a little of that dark with the light and see where it goes.. I like the marbled roasts now and again

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
Had some smoldering chaff. Made it interesting. Now just have to wait to try the roast out.

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
I've been testing out the beans from my first roast.  Been using my Aeropress.  My French press was busted this summer during travels.  My espresso machine is out of commission.

Tex

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »
It's important to get the beans into your cooling setup as quickly as possible. That's where the welders gauntlets come in handy - I can grab the hot roaster and dump the beans into the sieve I have on top of a fan.

At FC+ (454°F) the beans will continue to cook until they're forced to cool down.

Tex

« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »
These were recommended to me when I got the Behmor and they are excellent
http://www.amazon.com/Ove-Glove-Surface-Handler-Pack/dp/B001EPR98Q

Too short - eventually you'll burn your wrists. These are not only longer (safer) but they're a lot cheaper (3 pair for $9).

I keep one pair with my BBQ gear, and the other two with my coffee roaster.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
The OP is using a SC/TO, so his hands will never touch anything hot enough to warrant gloves, you thread-jackers, you.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »
The OP is using a SC/TO, so his hands will never touch anything hot enough to warrant gloves, you thread-jackers, you.   ;D

Maybe not the way you use it, but I want to get the roasted beans cooled as fast as possible. To do that I pick up the SC unit and dump the beans into the sieve that sits on the fan - and the SC can be pretty hot after roasting coffee to 454°F.

You might say I'd rather be safe than sorry?

Tex

« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »
Once I get my hooks into you, you'll always belong to me .  .  .

Bwaaa, haaa, haaa!

Happy Halloween!

Tex

« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »
I have a cat who looked about like that until the tenant's cat thrashed $700 worth of his life out of him a few days ago.  Now I have a black rag on heavy meds.....

But....as for Halloween?  I long ago dumped it for a much more fun celebration....Day of the Dead

Send him to me; he'd pair well with this white cat on heavy meds...

Tex

« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
Why is that cat filing the back of his/her paw?

Ever know of a smart cat? Cool yes, but smart??

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
That cat reminds me of the wife lol,  I only use a pair of leather gloves, never burnt my self yet. The only thing is move quickly and have your cooling system next to the SC/TO, works perfect for me. been doing it this way over 3 years and roasted hundreds a pounds 12 to 16 oz at a time, it has never cease to amaze me of how tough these SC/TOs are, I have three of them and never had one fail on me. Won't be roasting this way much longer, my new roaster should be hear early next week, the ability to do 5 lbs at a time will be huge for me.