Author Topic: Behmor Brazen Brew Temps And Bean Type?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline pgde

• Standard User
Behmor Brazen Brew Temps And Bean Type?
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
Now that I have had my Brazen for a while and recently acquired the Behmor 1600 roaster, I am wondering if there is any relationship between bean origin (i.e. Central American, African, etc) to brew temp? What got me wondering is the roasting profile suggestions for the 1600. Has anybody developed a similar set of suggestions for brew temps? Or is the brew temp more related to roast level? I've tried some searches but got so many results I couldn't go through them all. I realize that a lot depends on your personal tastes, but at least this could be a starting point rather than randomly trying various temperatures. Or, if this question has been answered already, please point me to it!!

Just wondering.

As always, I learn a lot from the accumulated wisdom here! :)

Regards,

P.
Behmor 2000AB/Behmor Brewer

ecc

Re: Behmor Brazen Brew Temps And Bean Type?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
I go by a general rule that brighter coffees need more heat to keep them from being overly sour or sharp, in the same way they can be tamed with a little extra extraction time.

I have seen variations that seem to be covered by this more general rule, for example lighter roasts = higher temp, denser beans = higher temp, fresher beans = higher temp, etc.

Feel free to disabuse me of this,  not sure I want to be on the other side of the fence on this from yakster!

JW

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I noticed on several occasions that lowering the temp a bit increased the sweetness.

I've seen the same thing and I think the Brazen has really shown it to me with the ability to vary the temps.

Offline pgde

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
That seems to be my impression also. I am running most everything now at 201 using 56 grams for a full pot. What changes is the roast profile in the 1600. When I tried higher temps (in the Brazen), the coffee seemed not as sweet or as in the case of the Ethiopians, less fruity.

Regards,

P. (who is using his initial so as not to be confused with the other, more prolific poster, Peter.  ;D)
Behmor 2000AB/Behmor Brewer

ecc

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
I don't have a Brazen, so I shouldn't even be on the thread.  But it is fascinating to be able to adjust temp so precisely, and be able to taste the difference.

Has anyone gotten a TC in a brazen to see what the actual brew temps are vs the front panel?  Is the basket brewing temp really 201F in the slurry, or is it the input water temp?

JW

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »
I don't have a Brazen, so I shouldn't even be on the thread.  But it is fascinating to be able to adjust temp so precisely, and be able to taste the difference.

Has anyone gotten a TC in a brazen to see what the actual brew temps are vs the front panel?  Is the basket brewing temp really 201F in the slurry, or is it the input water temp?

With natural processed coffee I have noticed a huge difference in the extractions at certain temps. Extracting over 203F always seems to draw out an edge and some astringency even if the coffee was roasted correctly. Dropping the temp down to 201F makes the coffee sweet and seems to remove that edge and astringency. I have not noticed any real perceptible difference with wet processed coffee between 203F and 201F, although my testing was very limited.

I did check the boiler temp and it is accurate when tested against my omega 802 with a bead type K thermocouple. Actual basket temp I have not checked.