Author Topic: Pro sumer recommendations please?  (Read 3244 times)

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
Re: Pro sumer recommendations please?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 02:47:45 AM »
I would really appreciate recommendations based on actual experience with the machines, or on research done on these types of espresso machines. I'd love a GS3 or a Synesso, but I have to watch my budget.

Thanks so much friends!

Dante

~~~haven't looked at either of these two lately so I had a look (went to Chris Coffee).  All I can say is man, they sure are cramming these machines full of electronic gizmos.  I'm coming up on 3 years with a lowly Vetrano, not the DB PID they are currently building, just an old ho hum HE machine (single boiler, natch) but you know what?...never any electrical failure.  I'd say this, if you go down the PID road and aren't hip to troubleshooting on your own...buy one new from Chris and get his 2 year warranty...you'll sleep better knowing if you have any trouble with it, at least he has a top notch service dept. to help you sort it out.  I've phoned Chris's service dept. in the past a few times and they're uber helpful

Actually, a few days ago, the plastic tip that runs into the drip tray, that carries blow off from the boiler...the over pressure relief valve I believe.  Well, the tip of the plastic piece broke while I was cleaning it.  About a 1/4" came off, it's a 90 degree piece, so now the over flow pipe runs vertical into the drip tray.  Still works fine but I emailed Chris...sent him a camera pic of the part, asked him if I should be concerned.  Less than 24 hours later I get an email from Tim with Chris cc'd saying if I want to call them and they'll send a new part out, otherwise I will be fine with what is left, if I want to run it like that

IMO, this is what you need to be concerned with...IOW, who you buy it from, not necessarily which of those machines, although yeah!, it would be nice to hear from owners of each of them, their experience with those machines

That said, I'll bet you'll still get the same great service from their service dept. buying a used machine from Joe Blow, so long as it is a machine they sell/service.  others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Our faults irritate us most when we see them in others.
-- Dutch Proverb   

Burner0000

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 06:37:03 AM »

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Vetrano_2B_p/db995.htm

And this is the sweet DB that will land in the US soon. :)

+1 on the "who you buy it from". Chris is AWESOME. That's why I have used them for all questions and will send my machine to his service department before the new owner gets it. That way there is no question about the quality.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »
(assuming you need a semi-auto and steam)

If you like chrome (and cleaning it) then E61.

If not, Vivaldi. 

Burner0000

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Vetrano_2B_p/db995.htm

And this is the sweet DB that will land in the US soon. :)

+1 on the "who you buy it from". Chris is AWESOME. That's why I have used them for all questions and will send my machine to his service department before the new owner gets it. That way there is no question about the quality.

Nice! Pre order it!

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
Have you considered a Quickmill? 

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Quickmill_Vetrano_p/n995.htm

~~~this is the single boiler (HX) machine...the PO indicated he is looking at double boiler, PID'd prosumers

that said, I have been using the Vetrano HX for close to 3 years now (3 years this X-mass).  I love this machine.  I had to replace the valves/gaskets in the group just after a year with it as 2 of the 3 seals started leaking, but since this replacement, the new valves have not leaked at all.  Chris Coffee's service dept. walked me through the installation...it was the proverbial piece o' cake

If QuickMill's new double boiler (w/PID) Vetrano works as well as my single boiler Vetrano has, for $2150 & a 2 year warranty, the PO should be all over it

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
(assuming you need a semi-auto and steam)

If you like chrome (and cleaning it) then E61.

If not, Vivaldi.

~~~my Vetrano has been an easy keeper....where it needs attention is the front stainless steel panel where the group is as inevitably coffee will splash on it.  I've found the best cleaner is window cleaner sprayed onto this panel, then wiped away with paper towel...being careful around the hot group.  I spray it down once a week...1-2 minutes total.  Also, the top of the machine where the coffee cups sit...dust settles there and a weekly wipe down with a damp cloth removing the cups first gets the job done...a one minute job if that

Drip tray is removed/cleaned nightly when doing the dinner dishes

I make up my own water using a Kent Marine RO filter then I go through one of Chris Coffee's Calcite filters so I end up with 50 PM hardness water...I filter into a 5 gallon bottle, then use a flo jet to get the water to the machine.  I've never had any clogging issues with the group using this set up

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Meddle not in the ways of Dragons, for thou art crunchie when flame broiled, and tastie with catsup

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks, and for reminding me that QM makes great machines. I use a Vetrano in my condo - the no frills type, and except for the dripping thingimajig that Jake mentioned in his post, has served me well for many years. The links you sent led me to this beauty - https://www.chriscoffee.com/Vetrano_2B_p/db995.htm which I might pre-order.

Two questions please. One - there is an option for 15 or 20 amps for the product. Can anyone tell me what difference will it make getting one over the other?

And two, for the Vetrano users out there, is there a PF that fits the Vetrano that can take the La Marzocco basket? I ordered a couple of LM baskets - the double and the triple sometime back, but found that they won't fit the PF for the Vetrano.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
my guess is it's like the Vivaldi, you can operate it in either 15 or 20amp mode via a switch on the machine.

In 20amp mode, both heating elements can run at the same time.
In 15amp mode, the brew boiler has priority.

I run mine in 15amp mode and never can outrun the machine.  Only drawing tiny amount from the brew
boiler each pull so the heating element doesn't need to run for long.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
I sure do love my VBM DB v2.  I have had it for 4 years, and have had no problems at all.  (Only mistake was buying it from the wrong place, but at least have had no need for service/help.)  It is very well built, and, IMO, the prettiest one out there.  I have no experience with v3, though.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »
for the Vetrano users out there, is there a PF that fits the Vetrano that can take the La Marzocco basket? I ordered a couple of LM baskets - the double and the triple sometime back, but found that they won't fit the PF for the Vetrano.

~~~what issue are you having...is it height, or lack thereof, in that the basket lip is higher than the top of the PF...so the basket wont sit down all the way for you to place the PF into the group?

I remember Tex finding a company and sharing the website a few years ago...the PF's were ridiculously cheap, something like $20?...I bought three.  I can go back and try to look for the info, or you could PM Tex.  Maybe PM David Mankin...I believe he bought some as well.  IIRC, this information was put up on the BUG yahoo board (Bunn Users Group).  Can't remember if it was posted here as well.  You could try a message search and if it's here it would be in this forum (hardware/equip)

I'll see if I can dig anything up

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a large lump of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It is important not to confuse the two

Offline rarebear

• Standard User
  • Rex Coffee Roaster
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
15-20 AMP

Check your fuse box and see what size breaker you will be plugging it into..
My kitchen has 20 amp breakers and my Brick is 1900 watts and needs 20 amp
It works just fine for me..

The Quickmill has a special 20 amp plug but a adapter cord is included to use a normal plug..

If you keep tripping the switch I learned in watching a video you have to set the PID switch it to 15 amp
I guess most people would have to use a adapter cord as I never seen one of these outlets in a home..

yes your baskets will fit.. Its a E-61 group head, 58mm in size...

This thread has me thinking about a new Quickmill for myself :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:51:56 PM by rarebear »
Profitec Pro 700 - Mazzer Robur - North TJ-067 Roaster