Author Topic: Behmor Mod for More Heat  (Read 6140 times)

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
Re: Behmor Mod for More Heat
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:21 AM »
Elevating the front legs will tilt the coffee mass closer to the upper heating element as it turns.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »
Joe wrote back and suggested that I perform the test outlined here, and then contact them:

http://www.behmor.com/slow-roasting.php

life2short1971

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
Do you know your voltage at the plug you use?

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
No, I don't know the voltage coming out of the wll, other than what it's supposed to be. No, I don't have a volt meter. No, I don't have a Variac. And no, I don't have money to buy them.

life2short1971

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
What size batch are you roasting and how dark are you trying to get to?

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
The other night I had about 10 ounces in the drum roasting on P1 set for one lb. I like to get into the second crack. But this roast didn't even get to first crack before all the time ran out (and I added the mximum time possible).

life2short1971

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
Yeah thats a problem as you already know. Can you try the roaster at a friends house to narrow down the issues?

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
I would if I had any friends.

life2short1971

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
I understand what your wanting because I have both a Behmor and HotTop. I know you want more heat but the roaster itself when working correctly will take a full lb of an average bean into 2nd crack when fairly new.If the Behmor is not getting hot enough it is either a defective part somewhere or the voltage is too low in which case having the ability to get hotter won't helpif enough energy is not being supplied imo.  My line voltage is 120 just for comparison if you do gain access to a voltmeter.

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »
No, I don't know the voltage coming out of the wll, other than what it's supposed to be. No, I don't have a volt meter. No, I don't have a Variac. And no, I don't have money to buy them.

Your really spinning your wheels until you find out the voltage coming out of the outlet your using. There 15a lines & 20a lines. Multiple devices running on the same circuit that can affect voltage output. You can buy a Kill-A-Watt at Home Depot or Lowes for 20 bucks, plug it in and see what your working with.

Before you know that any other question is gonna be pretty tough to answer ...
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
Then it's spin away, I guess. What happens if I learn the voltage is less than expected?

SJM

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
I can't help but think that you need to figure out how to budget for the ancillary stuff you need when you invest in something like the Behmor.   

Most purchases require support stuff.
It's part of the cost even though you have to buy it separately.

If you don't have the testers to know what you are doing, having the toys in the first place doesn't make a lot of sense.

If it turns out that your voltage is too low, of course, then you are going to need (a very expensive) Variac to do what you seem to want to do (overcook your beans).

You might have done better (and maybe could still do better) to build yourself a SC/TO with which you can probably roast as dark as you want and as many beans as you want.

:-\

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »
I don't overcook them. I just like them dark most of the time. Anyhow, I'll figure something out.

Thank you, all.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
If you find that your voltage is less than optimal then a variac can help fix that.  Turn it up to what you need.

IF you are going to get one, spend the extra few bucks to get a good one, beware the red chineese knock offs on e bay, they will burn out fairly quickly.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
A call to your utility will help them know they have poor service/unhappy customers, which may get them out to check your service, and find out why it's low.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you