Author Topic: help choosing an first pour over setup (best bang for the buck?)  (Read 2743 times)

jano

Re: help choosing an first pour over setup (best bang for the buck?)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 04:44:01 PM »
You haven't lived internet until you've used a random online translation tool to browse through and order from a random coffee shop's website in Japan. 

I've bought a few things this way.. so far, so good.  Livin' on the edge  8)

trshyd

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
Can't say whether it's "best bang for buck" but I read mention of "poor man's setup" earlier in the thread.

My poor mans setup is pouring with a thermos. I use one with a thumb release valve amd a pouring spout:

I pour a full kettle of boiling water straight in the thermos, and use for a V60. The rest of the hot water is good for an Aeropress for up to 2 hours later, and black tea for about the same. Very convenient.

And to make it even more poor mans (or resourceful as I prefer to call it), I use my 3-cup Bodum glass French Press as the carafe for pour over.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:03:34 PM by Joe »

crenedecotret

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 07:06:58 AM »
So I just tried a first cup with the melitta pour over... very very happy :)  I used my electric kettle and poured as slowly as I could with it (not easy). It has more flavor and body than the cuisinart auto-dripper and I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think I prefer the result compared to my small french press. Maybe it's a bit smoother? I'll be doing this again for sure.

We'll see how much a more controlled pour will help when I receive my kettle.

Shipping to Canada pretty much kills the Kalita deal for me (brings the cost up to 30$ USD) but if I was in the US I probably would have ordered it...

shootersm

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 05:21:16 AM »
I bought a korean gooseneck from ebay,
one year of daily use and it'S still kicking
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:04:23 PM by Joe »

JW

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 05:53:47 AM »
I bought a korean gooseneck from ebay,
one year of daily use and it'S still kicking
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hario-Style-Coffee-Drip-Pot-Kettle-Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Pot-1-2L-/200982523354?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item2ecb7dedda#ht_3527wt_700

I use a Buono daily. I also had a Paico (1.2L), that I gave to a friend. I actually prefer the Hario, although my friend prefers the paico (we've switched up several times).

For the 36$, the Korean kettle looks really, really nice. I'd love to see a close up tip comparison.

crenedecotret

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 06:52:07 AM »
So I got my Paeco...  homeloo shipped out on the 4th and it was in my hands on the 11th. I don't think I've ever received anything from China this fast. The kettle is much much easier to use than my electric kettle and a pyrex measuring cup. I takes a bit of a while to get the water to a boil on my stovetop but that's OK.

With my automatic drip machine, I get decent results using my Baratza encore around 19.. i'm still experimenting, but i'm going a bit finer for the pourover. My last coffee was great, grinder was set to 14.

This is fun! I'm glad I tried it and would recommend this to any other newbie :)