Author Topic: You and your HotTop  (Read 12067 times)

SJM

You and your HotTop
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
In addition, if you did mod your HT, how long did you use it first, and what factor made you decide to mod it?

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself with this new toy, but I am always looking for ways to either tinker or let myself off the hook of having to do so.

Susan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:11:13 PM by Joe »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: You and your HotTop
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »
No mods for me.

I see it as an accuracy of temp thing and I have no need to know actual/accurate temps because the (relative temps) serve all my needs. Plus I live much further on the art side of the art/science equation. I science geeked out in the early days but have not logged data points or fretted over replication in years.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
No mods for me.

I see it as an accuracy of temp thing and I have no need to know actual/accurate temps because the (relative temps) serve all my needs. Plus I live much further on the art side of the art/science equation. I science geeked out in the early days but have not logged data points or fretted over replication in years.

Same.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
"I have will be adding Thermocouples and Jim's controller and use Artisan or Roastlogger"

I have the older 8828D which has absolutely no control other than time.  I am wanting to add this capability so that I can play with the profiles and see if I can get a discernible difference in roasts of the same bean.  I have 3 roasters, none of which give me much control.  I'm thinking about investing in a commercial roaster at some point in the near future, and feel like this would be a good tool to help me learn more about the roasting process. 

I've been roasting for about 7 years with the various roasters (the Hottop, Behmor, and Sono) and it's time to take it to the next level.

Jimbo

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
My suggestion?  Just use it as is, and enjoy!
LMWDP #440

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »
No control is a different situation.

I've got full time, temp, and fan control. A more calibrated probe don't make me no never mind.

But lacking most control would be cause to mod.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

GC7

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
I will be the contrarian here if only to channel the curmudgeon in me.

Nothing helped me to profile my roasts and understand them better than the instalation of a bean temperature thermocouple. The one on teh HT measures a combination environmental temperature and temperature of the wall of the roaster. If you preheat the roaster (as is needed in my experience) you never see the turn temperature and drying phase without the bean mass probe. No doubt now after hundreds of roasts I can reproduce my chosen profile without the probe to a reasonable degree but only if I also know the voltage of the day and the environmental temperature and winds outside where I roast.

Play around without the mods for sure but IME bean temperature profiling makes things MUCH easier.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
no mods here neither but even w/ a warmed up HT, no top filter (blocked off w/ tin foil), repeatability
on back to back roasts of the same bean is still...

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
I wanted to know what was happening in the Hottop (ET and BT) during the roast, so I installed thermocouples. The main reason for installing thermocouples is that the location of the built-in thermocouple in the HotTop becomes less accurate as you roast smaller quantities of beans. At the start of the roast, it shows the ET, and at the end of the roast it shows the BT. If you roast at least 250g, then the bean mass expands sufficiently to cover the thermocouple. The result is that it shows the actual BT when you get to first crack. But this becomes less likely to occur as you roast smaller quantities.

Conventional wisdom says that smaller roasts get to first crack sooner, which often produces better tasting coffee. I determined my minimum desirable roast size (based on consumption) as 215g for most coffees. So I could not rely on the built-in HotTop thermocouple to give accurate readings.

I waited about three months, in order to learn how to roast on the unmodified HotTop. Now I'm taking it to the next level with Jim Galt's TC4C + HTC board. This will allow me to automatically duplicate prior adjustments to the fan and power, and more easily reproduce a profile for a given bean.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »
I get the idea of looking for "smaller" data than the stock probe gives (geek  8) ) but I don't really understand the desire for more accurate temps just for accuracy sake.

Calibration to X isn't really critical if we assume the stock probe is true from batch to batch [and I'm pretty sure it is] because real time calibration establishes a known point.. 185 on my HT is 187 on yours and 183 on an after market probe. And why do we care?

Lee Morrison

JimG

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
I don't believe the HT stock probe can be consistent among roasts performed during a single session.  It is influenced too much by the temperature of the rear wall of the roasting chamber.

Perhaps it can be consistent from session to session. But the remnant heat from an immediately preceding roast, even after a cool down that is enough to satisfy the control board, will skew the readings in the next roast.

Jim

SJM

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »
I thought back-to-back roasts were verbotten anyway :-\

RobertL

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »
I thought back-to-back roasts were verbotten anyway :-

I do back to back roast every time I roast. The most I'll do is four in one session.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SJM

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 06:55:04 PM »
Interesting, and of course now I have to laugh.
The blurb about the Hot Top at Sweet Marias moans about having to wait for such a long long time while the roaster cools down.  I'm thinking....gee, 3 hours????   And it turns out they are bellyaching about 20 minutes.  Sheesh.  Here's from Sweet Marias site:

I can't blame HotTop for this, but one annoying thing is limited back-to-back roasting. While it takes the machine a moderate amount of time to heat up to temperature (you get an audible alarm to put the coffee in when pre-heating is done), it takes a LONG time for the roaster to cool down to temperature after doing one batch, so you can start a second batch. While it is good that the HotTop always starts the roast at the same temperature, it does mean you need to do something else for a while (like 20 minutes) while the roaster cools down after doing your first batch. Ultimately, this is for your own good: all roasters should be cooled between batches because it means consistent safe roasting, and a longer lasting machine.

I'm sorry, but when 20 minutes is a LONG time, I'm on the wrong planet.... :(

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
20 min wait would be an epic waste of time.

The ghetto way is to use a fan after each batch, remove rear filter, chute cover, chaff tray and drum cover and you'd be ready to roast again in 5 mins.

The cool way, pun intended, with no waiting...  wait for smico to find this thread...

I'm too lazy so I use a fan and a broom to sweep up the chaff everywhere...