Author Topic: You and your HotTop  (Read 12074 times)

GC7

Re: You and your HotTop
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
If you want to minimize smoke escaping from the bean chute just line that area with a piece of silican cookie baking sheet. It works fairly well.

Question - Will a Staco 15a variac work well with the hottop or do I need to look for a 20a?  Thanks

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
I'd figure 15 would be fine. If I'm not mistaken that's what I have. I know it doesnt have the 20a plug on it.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

GC7

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »
I'd figure 15 would be fine. If I'm not mistaken that's what I have. I know it doesnt have the 20a plug on it.
Thanks - I recall that it draws 11-12A on full power but I was too lazy to look it up.

smico

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »
Erik,
Do you mind checking if your variac is 15A?
I have 30 A variac and 15 A plug... In-rush current for my variac trips the breaker every time, but I came up with simple three position switch solution to first manetize the variac (bulb in series to limit the current), and then set it on-line. Works like a charm. Will draw schematic this weekend and post.

SJM

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
I wonder if there is any state in the union where they would allow me to marry my Hot Top????

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
Better sign a pre-nup so you don't get burned.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

smico

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Hottop's internal power regulation keeps power levels constant for small voltage variations.  It is effective for power levels under 100%.  To go beyond 100%, voltage can be increased with transformers.  The most popular transformer used for that purpose is variac (autotransformer).
When unloaded variac is switched on to a supply, it draws large magnetizing current of order of 8–30 times the full load current, known as inrush current.  When connected directly to the main, my breaker trips almost every time.
Bullet proof soft-start solution would include rotary OFF-ON-ON switch, but because I could not source reasonably priced one, I used two simple and cheap DPST switches.
Downside of the two switch solution is that I have to remember to engage switches in certain order.
1.   Make sure SW2 is OFF
2.   Turn SW1 ON
3.   Turn SW2 ON

Advantages:
1.   Breaker never trips
2.   Dirty power during transient phase is not passed to the output

Bulb size is not critical.  I used one I had handy, pulled out from some old appliances.

Of course, the same schematic can be used for any variac.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:43:13 PM by smico »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »
Does that exhaust cause back pressure on the roaster?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »

Erik,
Do you mind checking if your variac is 15A?
I have 30 A variac and 15 A plug... In-rush current for my variac trips the breaker every time, but I came up with simple three position switch solution to first manetize the variac (bulb in series to limit the current), and then set it on-line. Works like a charm. Will draw schematic this weekend and post.

Mine has a 12 amp fuse, and never managed to trip a 15 amp breaker, but I hardly push it past 75%.

As far as I can tell there is no back pressure, probably due to the scotchbrite filter and heat rises. I get 130 degree or so out of the pipe with the fan off and et around 300.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk so pardon my spelling.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

smico

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 04:53:34 AM »
Variacs trip breaker when turned on, even without load.
Smart people like you buy what they need now.
Crazy people like me buy 30 A variac to be able to power 3 Hottops that I will never ever buy, and then complain about tripping breaker. Although I found like new US made 30 A variac for $90 and could not resist.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »
I don't do back to back unless I miss an alarm/auto dump.

And the 20 min wait feels like 3 hours. :-\
This is one of the reasons I am excited about installing the TC4 + HTC. Finally I can start the roast at any temp I want, without waiting for the cool down.
Now that I have the TC4C working, it appears that I am mistaken. Based on my experience of three roasts, I still have to wait for the Hottop to finish the cool cycle.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »
Well......After about 8 years the control panel on my Hottop went blank, no lights whatsoever. It had been showing signs of acting up for a while. As I was sitting there frustrated and playing with it i found that it would switch back and forth between the cycles but the display was dead. So, once you figure out where the fan adjustment is you can count from there. The heat is right underneath the fan, the total time is next, eject, etc. Usine the BT probe and a stop watch I really dont need to know what the display is saying. I feel like I an cheating by not buying another control panel. But $129 will but a lot of beans!!!!!!
This is my second Hottop and I am still using the 1st for parts. The control panel went dead on it as well so no spare to be had.

Anybody have a Hottopb control panel they would like to sell???

Happy to be roasting,
Mike
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
bummer about the panel but considering the recent price increase maybe $120 isn't such a bad price but
yea that is a lot of beans :-(

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
I am still using the panel with the blank screen. I e-mailed Hottop and was advised it was probably a dirty connection or smoke buildup on a connection. I took it apart and tried to clean it but it didnt fix it. I will continue to roast without the display for now. I will get a backup panel when the time comes. Its still a beast for what i have put this roaster thru.
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

SJM

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »
Can anyone tell me without my having to pull out the manual if the HT be set to read out the temps in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit?

Susan