Author Topic: You and your HotTop  (Read 12069 times)

SJM

Re: You and your HotTop
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
Found my own answer, but in case you're interested the answer is YES

The KN-8828B Coffee Roaster can be set to display temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius.

From page 15 of the manual.
I'm changing mine today....

Susan

SJM

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »
Okay, I answered my own question last time, this one I really need your input on.

If I move the HT into a small cottage that used to be a rental, and have no plans for it to be occupied again, do you think I would be offended by the smoke if I didn't vent it outside?   
Will the smoke eventually discolor all the walls the way a smoking tenant would? 

In other words, is venting to make it easier to live in close proximity with or could you get away without that if your space were dedicated to roasting (and a cat).

And I don't mean like this:   This tenant went to sleep with a cigarette smoldering on her couch....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:27:11 AM by SJM »

smico

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »
Susan.
You have to vent smoke outside, for sure.
Even though I roast in 20 ft high garage, after few roasts it's not pleasant at all. Sometimes I can' t open my window because it's frozen, then I roast just one roast at time.
I made chimney from cardboard that directs smoke upwards to the range hood vented to the outside. I can take some pictures if you can't find them here.
The simplest is to place roaster close to window and directed fan to the outside.
Or roast outside.
Or vent to the outside.
Cheers,
Miroslav

SJM

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
I've found your pictures, so don't go to any trouble. 
I will work on the venting.

So far I have spent all day reading about the optical reading of the HT instrumentation, and just this minute pulled the trigger on a Logitech webcam to make it happen.  The webcam will mean it w ill have to be indoors, which in turn will mean it will have to be vented.   You know:  the hipbone connected to the legbone; the legbone connected to the ankle bone; the....

Darn you Miroslav....:-)))

Susan

smico

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
You are welcome Susan ;D
Wait till I start talking about extreme mods, like reverse air flow and fixing sole major design flaw of Hottop.

SJM

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
As long as you don't ask me to drill any holes in her I'm gonna be fine....:-)))

SJM

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
So....about Roastlogger.

It requires JAVA.  Does everyone just download JAVA again?  I thought it was some kind of open invitation to get your computer hacked...

And....does any one here use it with an optical reader?

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
No need to fear Java. I just now installed the latest Java update on one of my old Windows XP boxes.

In the last quarter, Oracle got the software back into better shape (than last year). They even fixed the Java update process so that it works properly  ::)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:33:57 PM by rgrosz78 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

SJM

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2014, 10:03:51 AM »
Scotch Brite Pads for the rear filter.

So, I picked up two packages of these:

but they aren't big enough to replace the old filter.

Where have you sourced bigger ones?  I haven't been able to find them yet....

Susan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:15:35 PM by Joe »

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »
I buy mine from the Dollar Tree. A generic  scotch brite and 5 come in a pack for a buck. 10-15 roasts and I can toss them for .20 cents a piece. Sure beats $11.00 a filter.... They fit perfectly with one small trim cut. Last look I had about 7 packs left. If you cant find any let me know and I will be glad to jam as many as I can in a flat rate padded envelope to your door!
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

SJM

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
I buy mine from the Dollar Tree. A generic  scotch brite and 5 come in a pack for a buck. 10-15 roasts and I can toss them for .20 cents a piece. Sure beats $11.00 a filter.... They fit perfectly with one small trim cut. Last look I had about 7 packs left. If you cant find any let me know and I will be glad to jam as many as I can in a flat rate padded envelope to your door!

Cool.  I'll try the Dollar store tomorrow and let you know.  The ScotchBrite ones are 6" X 3.8" and just don't seem to cover the whole area of the filter frame.

Susan

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2014, 04:45:49 AM »

Cool.  I'll try the Dollar store tomorrow and let you know.  The ScotchBrite ones are 6" X 3.8" and just don't seem to cover the whole area of the filter frame.

Susan
Let me know. These fit perfectly width wise and just need a small trim length wise.

SJM

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2014, 10:20:34 AM »
Okay, I wonder if I'm missing something here.
I went to the local Dollar Tree and found packs of 10 scrubbies, but they were exactly the same size as the Scotch-Brites.

Could you measure the ones you are finding that fit?
Or do the ones I already have simply get stretched to fit?

I'm (once again) confused.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »
PM me your address and I will get you some out on Monday...No worries..The ones I am using are a generic brand called scrub buddiies. May be paticular to the specific dolaar store I get them from. Be glad to send you as many as you want.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:26:22 AM by Mlee »

SJM

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
Okay, but....the ones at my Dollar Store are also called Buddies, which is why I think I'm missing something....

In any case...off to PM you with many many thanks.

Susan